We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expensive East Coast

Ireland
Level Contributor
151 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Expensive East Coast

I know this has nothing to do with anyone here but I'm just looking for some advice or to see if any other travellers feel the same.

I cannot get over how expensive accom is on the east coast ; just comparing our first stop on a west coast trip last summer - 4 nights in San Diego cost us $670 in what TA calls a speciality lodging (Mudville Flats - fantastic). Cheapest quote I've got for Boston so far is $975 in a vacation rental apartment (4 nights).

Really feeling the pinch planning this trip and have had to chop a few places off the itinerary due to cost. Just wondering if anyone out there has any tips or websites (although I don't think there is a website out there I haven't checked) that might help.

We are flying into Boston, staying 4 nights then hiring a car and driving to Maine, hiring a house on lakes for 7 nights, driving to Bar Harbor for 2 nights then returning car in Portland (might stay a night) before taking the train to NYC for 6 nights. Flying home from JFK.

I totally understand that NYC is one of the most expensive cities when it comes to accom but didn't think Boston and Maine would be as expensive as the quotes I'm getting :(

If anyone has done similar trip I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expensive East Coast

in my experience, the cost of accommodations in NYC isn't usually particularly high but the food there can cost a small fortune. I'm not sure why anyone would expect accommodations in Boston to be less expensive, it is after all the hub of the universe. :-)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expensive East Coast

not sure what dates in July but you are looking at high season and higher season. $250 per night for a beacon hill apartment is not outrageous by any stretch of the imagination, especially if you want to stay in the "best" areas. You may find something a little less if you looked towards brookline which would have easy access to Boston by public transportation but don't have any specific suggestions. Even if you found a suite hotel outside of Boston, I don't think you would save alot of money. Took a look at mudville flats and don't recall seeing or hearing of anything like that in Boston but when I go to SD, it looks like a great option.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expensive East Coast

Boston is expensive. Real estate is scarce and higher here than most parts of the country. It can also take years to get anything built because of permitting, public input, historic preservation, etc. You might find something cheaper as you get closer to your travel dates. I would book something you can live with that is cancelable and keep an eye open.

You can also try Price Line, Hotwire, Lastminutetravel.com. Sometimes we can help you by identifying hotels on Lastminutetrave by looking at the photos.

You are going to the Maine coast at the height of the season.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expensive East Coast

In my travel experience, Boston has always been a fairly expensive destination for overnight stays -- especially if you want to stay "in town" as opposed to somewhere out in the suburbs. Seems to be a function of supply-and-demand and what-the-market-will-bear kind of situation.....some really noticeable fluctuations on weekends like college graduations or other special events -- suggesting that there just aren't enough unoccupied accommodations around town to promote much discounting. Occasional deals during "mud season weekends" (early Springtime), but otherwise I would agree that Boston can be expensive.

Your explanation of your Maine stay contains the answer to the cost issue here -- summertime on a lakefront..... again the ultimate example of limited supply and huge demand. Maine summer's are short and the supply of lakefront accommodations is definitely finite -- especially if you're looking for places within short driving distances of other major attractions. Maine property taxes on shorefront property are higher than non-shore property, so owners have just the short summer season to garner the income they need to pay the taxes, maintain the property, etc. And lots and lots of people are looking for "a week in the summer on a Maine lake" -- and are willing to pay accordingly..... Limited season, limited availability, high demand, high ownership costs all add up to higher rental costs....

On the other hand, a summer week on a Maine lake can be the kind of vacation your family will talk about for years...!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expensive East Coast

Boston and New York are very expensive, land is scarce so real estate is expensive and that translates to higher housing costs weather you are a year-round resident or a tourist.

There are ways to save money ... you could stay outside the city and commute in via public transportation ... in Boston check out Winthrop Mass, in New York check out Long Island City (not Long Island).

Also, if you are looking to save $$ ... there could be a surcharge for picking up car in Boston and dropping it off in Portland. Do you know that you can't get on a train in Portland and go directly to NY? You need to take the train from Portland to Boston's NORTH Station and then make your way from there to Boston's SOUTH Station (or Back Bay Station) to get a different Amtrak train to NY. The distance isn't far, but if you have large luggage it can be inconvenient. For those two reasons, you may want to consider driving back to Boston to drop the car and catch the train.

Also ... what time of year do you plan to travel? Hotels in both Boston and NY vary from one time of the year to the next and even day-to-day depending on what is going on. In Boston May can be pricey because of college graduations. In NY if you pick Fashion Week or a week when the UN general assembly is meeting, there are no bargains. Sept and Oct are pricey in BOTH cities becuase business picks up after the summer lull and leaf-peepers often want a bit of city time ...

And ... as already mentioned it could be too early to be looking for 'deals'. So give us some info ... like the dates you'll be in Boston, number of people in your group and how many beds you need and maybe we can help.

Happy Planning!

Ireland
Level Contributor
151 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expensive East Coast

I am going to crack up :( becasue no I did not realise I could not get a train direct from Portland to NYC aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhh :D thank God you posted forgotmypword as I was about to book flights....

There was a direct flight from Dublin to Portland once upon a time i.e. 2 weeks ago but it has either been taken off the aer lingus route or sold out so I re planned the whole trip to accomodate us flying into Boston but now that i cannot get a train direct from Portland kinda puts a spanner in the works, what the hell am I gonna do now...I have to go lie down for a while lol

The house in Maine is only available Sat 28th July - Sat 4th Aug so I have to work around this....

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expensive East Coast

You can fly from Portland Maine to JFK on JetBlue for $59/one-way.

If you were only going to Boston to get to Portland, I would look at a multi-city ticket to fly to Portland (probably by way of New York), then to NYC, then home.

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
13 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expensive East Coast

HELP! We are 2 persons wanting accommodation in Boston for 3 nights in early June. We chose this time as we thought it would be cheaper than July, August and September, but it appears not. I have spent days checking out all manner of acc. and am beginning to wonder if it is really worth staying in town at all and if we should head off north straight away. Any advice would be greatfully received.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expensive East Coast

Thomas144, she said they plan to spend 4 nights in Boston at the beginning of the trip.

TravellinTash, I don't think the Portland-NYC train issue is a huge one. I think you could easily do as forgotmypword suggested: Rent your car at the end of the Boston leg, drive to Maine, return the car in Boston, and then take the train from Boston's South Station to NYC. You'll save on the drop charge for renting in one place and dropping the car off in another. Plus, the cost of gas and tolls for the Portland-Boston drive is probably less than the train fare for four of you (if I'm remembering correctly that you are a family of four) on that segment. Hope this seems clearer when you get up from your rest! ;-)

ACJHuddersfield, you may want to start a new thread with your question.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expensive East Coast

TT

seems the only travel change is to drive to and from boston- then train or bus to NYC instead of taking train from portland to NYC.

Bus would save a lot of money although cost some time.

ACJ- what kind of accommodations are you looking for? what are you considering to be too expensive? and a new thread is a good idea. Don't just repost the question but rephrase with more info.