We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Montreal

San Diego
Level Contributor
211 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Montreal

I'll be visiting Boston for a few days in May before heading to Montreal to board a cruise. I've booked a one-way rental car for the trip up to Montreal, but was also considering Greyhound. Any advice on which is better for two adults and a child? Greyhound comes out cheaper, but I'm concerned about the quality of the buses. While I know they've introduced new buses in some markets, I can't reach anyone at Greyhound to verify the type of bus in use on this route. Any advice would be appreciated.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Montreal

Border control is a huge hassle when you bus it, since you have to wait for the entire busload to show passports, etc. If you take a car, all you have to do is wait your turn in the car. If you can afford it, I highly recommend taking the car instead.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Montreal

The busses are generally fine. However, I'm not sure about the car rental that you said you already booked. I'm VERY surprised that a rental car company would allow you to rent in the US and return the car in Canada. Sometimes they don't even allow you to drive there, never mind leaving the car there. If they really did allow that, you better make sure and check what they are going to charge you for drop-off charges. That may be more important knowing than the condition of the busses.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 17:16
San Diego
Level Contributor
211 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Montreal

I have confirmed with the rental company that they allow one-way rentals. The price is high, about the same for three of us to ride Greyhound one-way, and more if you add fuel costs.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Montreal

I would definitely go with the rental car, even at twice the price of the bus. Greyhound buses are generally fine, but it's a long ride up to Montreal by bus (7 hours +), versus a relatively manageable drive (5-6 hours). Having your own car also means that you can stop whenever you like, which can be important with a child, or even enjoy lunch in a scenic part of Vermont. The drive is all on major highways.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to Montreal

If the rental cost is the close as the bus, no question, I'd go the car ... which rental company are you using? I'm curious ... I always assumed that renting in one country and returning in another would have a HUGE surcharge ... guess I assumed wrong ...

Boston
Level Contributor
624 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to Montreal

If you are not having a rental car in Boston.

Consider flying

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to Montreal

Flying from Boston to Montreal is extremely expensive for some reason. My daughter and her roommate are considering Montreal for their Spring Break in March. I looked into flights ($500.00 round trip pp) amd the train (over $300.00 plus you have to go to NYC)...Driving or Greyhound are the cheapest ways to get there...My daughter is hoping her roommate's dad let them drive...

San Diego
Level Contributor
211 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston to Montreal

Thanks for all the replies.

We are using Hertz, which is just under $200 for a one-way, one day rental. Alamo was much cheaper, but their rates skyrocketed to over $200 before I booked. Airfare from Boston is about $250 pp, and to fly into Montreal and out of Boston ran and addition $250 pp, making the car or bus the ideal alternative, especially since going to Boston before Montreal works better for our schedule.

It looks like the car is the choice. Thanks again for all the input.

9. Re: Boston to Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:19