We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

South Bend, Indiana
10 posts
Save Topic
Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

Planning on a Saturday visit in May. I know it'll be crowded because it's a weekend and the college graduations in town. Just looking on feedback on what the best tour is, pound-for-pound.

Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Tuckamore Aviation
City Tours, Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Boston Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, City Tours
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

I haven't done the Harpoon tour yet, but I can offer one, very specific tip on the Sam Adams tour: when you get to the tasting room, sit as far away as possible from the bar - if the room is full, sit up on the stools in the back of the room. Do this if you want to drink a lot of free beer. What happens is that the pitchers end up in the back of the room. People sitting up front pass the pitchers to the back but are too shy to ask that they be passed back, so people in the back end up holding all the leftovers.

I really enjoyed the Sam Adams thing - there is no charge. It also includes a shuttle ride to some famous bar (which we opted not to do), which is also a pretty good deal.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

They are pretty much the same. Both use the same process, both last the same amount of time and both offers lots of free beer at the end. Harpoon is in a better location if that matters. No reason you can't do both if you've got the time!

Boston...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

If just going to do one I would do Harpoon. I agree they are pretty much the same.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
152 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

We did the Samuel Adams tour and had a great time. The tour was short, with a few people asking questions about hops and barley...:). We were given three different samples and a small glass to keep. I'm not a fan of Samuel Adams but tasted the summer brew and became hooked. After the tour a "party bus" took us to Doyle's (optional) and brought us back. This was a neat place and I would recommend going. We got lunch, a Samuel Adams and another free glass! I think they filmed The Town here or Mystic River. Have fun and enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Doyle's Cafe
Doyle's Cafe
480 Reviews
Boston, MA
Mystic
Mystic
Connecticut
South Bend, Indiana
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning Harpoon because I love their IPA better than anything that Sam Adams does. We will see. Like the idea of hitting them both up.

mystic,quebec
Level Contributor
137 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

If you opt for Sam Adams make sure you don't miss the free party bus to Doyles. Really cool old style bar and the drive you back to the T after. You get a free glass (not the mini taster one) if you give your tour ticket at Doyles.

Mentioned in this post
Doyle's Cafe
Doyle's Cafe
480 Reviews
Boston, MA
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

I love the mini taster glasses they give out at Sam Adams. We need to go back to collect all four (each one describes a step in the tasting process).

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

Harpoon is better in my opinion. Newer, bigger scale brewery and at the free beer reception afterwards, it's basically "all you can drink" as opposed to Sam which is limited to probably a pint's worth.

South Bend, Indiana
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

Appreciate the info. Thanks buddy!

10. Re: Better beer tour: Harpoon or Sam Adams?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2013, 10:23