We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

Hello everyone!

I'm traveling from California to Boston 4/11-4/14 and will be attending opening day at Fenway, I'm not really a huge sports fanatic so I'd like to know what I can expect, I've been to baseball games before but I think this might a bigger event, has anyone on this forum ever been?

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Fenway Park
Fenway Park
13,258 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,524 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

I've been to countless opening days at Fenway. They're always a lot of fun, filled with excitement for the coming season, no matter how bad the team we field might be.

The area around Fenway gets busy early, hours before game time. Thousands of people milling about, going in and out of bars and restaurants. There won't be any ring or trophy presentations this year, but they do introduce the whole team, drop a gigantic American flag over the Green Monster, welcome some special guests, do a big ceremonial first pitch, then someone "famous" sings the national anthem and the F-15s fly overhead. After that, it's play ball!

The best advice is to keep checking the weather and plan on dressing in layers. It can be very cold on opening day, especially as the sun wanes.

Mentioned in this post
Fenway Park
Fenway Park
13,258 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

ditto:

Opening day is a great experience. Get there early and walk around the park. The grounds crew do a fantastic job.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

It's one of the best days and best events of the year. I will echo Diva21's remarks on the weather, which is often not very good.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

does ever rain or snow? I'm from california and well, we're not use to harsh weather, that's what's really scaring me lol.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 21:00
Boston
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

It certainly could rain as it can rain any time of year here. We do not have a rainy season or dry season. It's extremely unlikely to snow. But, it can be chilly and raw in April, but it could also be a beautiful day. I would err on the side of coolness though.

Unless it's a heavy steady downpour of rain they will not cancel the game. Rather, they will try to play it with rain delays, or if lightly raining, will probably just play through it.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

It's a big block/cocktail party.....with a pretty steep cover charge (if you have tickets) The fact that it falls on a Friday again will make it a little more lively.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,813 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

It's unlike any other game in that it is an EVENT. Lots of politicians, elected officials, past and present, media people, etc. You'll find more people in business attire than any other game because so many locals come straight from work. It's a good people watching opportunity.

Do be prepared for a chilly day, just in case. Bring gloves and a scarf with you to Boston, and wear a warm fleece or sweater with an all weather jacket over it. You may need this for sightseeing anyway. The temperature range at that time of the year can be anywhere from the 50s to 80s.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,458 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

I love opening day. Good advice already given. Definitely check the weather before you travel. Could be bundle-up-winter coat weather or not.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

You can expect to pay a ton of money on concessions. You are allowed to bring in one unopened bottle of water. Enjoy and bundle up. It can be very chilly.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,499 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opening day @ Fenway, what can I expect?

Opening Day will be crowded just like all the games which are sell outs.