We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
"Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

A couple of days ago, there was a new (to me) recording at the Park Street Red Line stop as one train approached: "This train is 'Big Red' -- the Red Line's high capacity train. There are no seats in the middle cars. They are for standing only. The first and last cars have seating." Or pretty close to that.

Looking into all the cars, this train's conversion had not kept up with the announcement. No seatless cars yet.

Have you encountered this, or seen it written up anywhere? I ride the Red Line frequently, but am not a commuter, and I also don't always read "Stops & Starts" in the Globe.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 08:46
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
592 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,056 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
711 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,133 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

Interesting. It's actually a good idea if they can make it happen. I haven't heard about it ... but I haven't been on the red line since November.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,458 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

Seems that it's been in the works since 2008. Here's a photo from flickr: flickr.com/photos/doglover2008/5557024502/

Boston
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

This has been going on for a while, I would say at least a year. I am an occassional Red Line user and I only ended up on a "Big Red" car once, but I don't remember hearing an announcement about it before boarding.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: "Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

I have been on the Red Line when they announced "Big Red" was coming, but the announcment was that you weren't allowed in the middle cars. I suppose they limit that until the train becomes crowded, but they never did explain anything.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,524 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

It depends on what branch of the Red Line you're on. They're in use on the Braintree branch all day every day. Even then, the Red Line is Sardine City during rush hours.

The standing only cars have double the capacity of the regular cars apparently.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

I've heard the announcements from time to time going back a few months now and, more often than not, the train isn't actually a real "Big Red" train (meaning, all of the cars still have seats.) Maybe something automatically triggers the announcement and is just plain wrong sometimes.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

Imagine, T announcements being wrong!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

I commute on the Red Line and have seen "Big Red" off and on since at least 2010, if not earlier. The first 2 and last 2 cars of the train are regular cars, but the middle two have had almost all of the seats removed (though there are still a few seats on each end).

I find the Big Red cars useful when I have my child in the stroller since there is more room for maneuver. I've never actually heard an incorrect announcement of Big Red but it's certainly possible.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

The high capacity cars have been in use for quite a while, maybe a year. I've never heard an incorrect announcement about them. Only the middle two cars of a six car train are high capacity cars.

10. Re: "Big Red" - a new feature on the Red Line

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 10:34