We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston by road

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
belgaum
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Boston by road

Hi,

Want to drive down to Boston from NJ.Whats the the most scenic route? Don't want to take the busy highways.

Pls advice.

Cheers.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,879 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston by road

Boston is up, not down. You will need to take some busy highways, but you can divert to some scenic routes along the way. Some of the highways are scenic.

Give us an idea of how much time you want to spend driving. How many extra hours are you willing to add to the trip to take scenic, non-highway routes?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston by road

The problem is that you have to cross the Hudson River. There are relatively few bridges and tunnels that cross the river, and they are all very busy. Also, between Boston and New Jersey is New York City and its vast, sprawling suburbs. The New York agglomeration covers approximately the same area of land as Belgium but contains nearly twice as many people. It's impossible to pass through it without using busy highways and/or traffic-clogged streets. Also, many of the most congested areas between New Jersey and Boston are along the coast. So, while there are stretches of the coast that are pretty, you would have to go through congested cities to travel between them along the coast.

If you really want to avoid highways and take a scenic route, you will need to take a large detour around most of the New York agglomeration. New Jersey is another large area, almost as big as Belgium. It would help to know where in New Jersey you will be starting. Because of development along the coast, I recommend staying inland and enjoying some hilly scenery. If you are prepared to use any motorways, you will get out of New Jersey much faster. If you are in Northern New Jersey, you might try heading for Interstate 287 to get you nearly out of New Jersey. Take Exit 58, which will take you to US Route 202. US Route 202 actually more or less parallels Interstate 287, but if you take it through that part of New Jersey, you see a lot of monotonous suburbs and spend a lot of time at traffic lights. North from New Jersey, US Route 202 takes a sometimes scenic route through part of New York State, across the Hudson River, through Connecticut, and into Massachusetts. However, there is one place where you might want to detour from US 202 as it passes through a congested small city. This is Danbury, Connecticut, where US 202 actually joins a very busy highway, Interstate 84. To avoid this, head north on New York State Highway 22 in Brewster. Go about one mile (1.6 km), then turn right on Milltown Road. This will take you to Connecticut Highway 39. Turn left on Route 39 and drive to Sherman. There, turn right on Route 37. This will take you to Route 7. Turn right on Route 7, go about 2 miles, then turn left onto Route 202. Route 202 will now take you across western Connecticut and into western Massachusetts. You will pass through the old industrial city of Holyoke, but it is actually not so congested, and the old brick buildings are somewhat interesting.

In Belchertown, US Route 202 will cross Massachusetts Route 9. Here I recommend that you turn right on Route 9. Route 9 will take you through some pretty Massachusetts towns toward Worcester. However, east of Worcester, Route 9 becomes very busy, so I recommend turning right on Route 56 in the town of Leicester. Take Route 56 south about 5 miles to US Route 20. Turn left on US Route 20. US Route 20 will bring you into Boston relatively painlessly and pleasantly, though once you get into the city of Boston, of course traffic could be dense.

Keep in mind that taking the route I have suggested would increase your driving time considerably over taking highways. If you are starting in Princeton, New Jersey, you could drive to Boston by highway in about 5 and a half hours (though heavy traffic could stretch it to 7 hours). If you take these back roads, your driving time will be 8 and a half hours.

belgaum
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston by road

Thank you christnp2 & markoboston.

Truly appreciate your suggestions.

I will start my journey from east Brunswick.

Cheers.

Edited: 11 February 2012, 18:51
Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston by road

Or you can take 95 and spend a little time in Newport ct and mystic ct, two beautiful towns.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston by road

What's in Newport, CT? Or did you mean Newport, RI?

Edited: 11 February 2012, 20:27
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston by road

Financialwiz...

The original request stipulated that they "don't want to take the busy highways" suggests to me that they won't think much of I-95....or any of the options to get to it from their starting point in NJ.....

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston by road

Try the Merritt Parkway after the Tappan Zee Bridge as a part of the journey.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston by road

OP, do you understand that you are taking a 4-5 hour trip on a good day to a 10 hour trip?? Can't tell how familiar you are with the area or distances. merritt parkway is scenic but a highway so at least you are going 55 mph. You could get off the merritt at Meriden, CT and take rt 66 through middletown with a stop at Wesleyan University (my alma mater) which is a classic NE campus and quite lovely. Then take rt 9 back to 91 to 84 for about 35-40 minutes of highway and take rt 20 which is just past the Mass. border all the way to boston. It would be slower going 30 mph with traffic lights but there are some scenic portions of the road. but even better is to take the mass pike to Framingham and then take rt 30 all the way into boston. lots of old New England type homes along the way especially after you get into Newton. This adds some substantial time but at least you can do it in a day this way.

9. Re: Boston by road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 19:50