We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea town close to Boston help!!

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
130 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Sea town close to Boston help!!

Would love to spend 3-4 days not too far from Boston as we fly home from there on a Sunday midday. What suggestions for a quaint hotel by the sea. First trip, so really not sure of best option.

thx Alice

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Quaint hotels in Boston
Eliot Hotel
Eliot Hotel
#9 of 86 hotels in Boston
Lenox Hotel
Lenox Hotel
#6 of 86 hotels in Boston
The Boxer Boston
The Boxer Boston
#19 of 86 hotels in Boston
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea town close to Boston help!!

A few questions:

- When are you making your trip?

- Will you have a car? There are options that require a car, and a few options that don't.

- Is a sandy beach important?

- Any other particular interests beyond being by the ocean?

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea town close to Boston help!!

I'm going to assume you have a car. Here are a few places to consider.

Marblehead: A b&b or inn there puts you in a quaint town with a beautiful rocky shore. You have easy access to lots of restaurants in M'head and nearby Salem and to Logan for your trip home.

Rockport and Gloucester: This puts you on Cape Ann and a bit farther north of Boston. You're more likely to find "quaint" hotels in Rockport than Gloucester.

Given that you're talking 3-4 days, you could also consider someplace on the NH or southern Maine coast. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
Rehoboth...
Level Contributor
80 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea town close to Boston help!!

you can also look into newport , RI or mystic CT .

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,025 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea town close to Boston help!!

If you are going to consider Newport then you can add in Cape Cod. To be right ON a sandy beach with warm(er) water try the recently renovated Sea Crest in Falmouth. There's much to do in Falmouth/Woods Hole and you can even nip over to Martha's Vineyard for a day trip. The trip to Logan on a Sunday morning should be 65 minutes but I would allow for two hours just to be on the safe side.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
1,023 Reviews
Falmouth, MA
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Martha's Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts
Ventura, California
Level Contributor
130 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea town close to Boston help!!

Love all the great suggestions... Hoping for warm water & sand in late June but ? Plan on going at that time, as we're attending a wedding in Boston.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea town close to Boston help!!

You can find sandy beaches north of Boston (and rocky ones too), but you won't find warm water in late June--and often not even in mid-August.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea town close to Boston help!!

Okay Rte128 is right..the water will not be warm.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea town close to Boston help!!

I love the rugged cliffs of Cape Ann - Rockport and Gloucester being favourites. I associate Cape Cod more with sandy beaches though, and plenty of lovely coastal towns on Cape Cod. Beautiful sunsets!

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea town close to Boston help!!

Okay, someone needs to represent the South Shore.

Hull and Cohasset are neighboring seaside towns fairly close to Boston, with a number of hotels/inns on/near the water, and reachable without a car. Cohasset has a Commuter Rail stop from which you could take a quick cab ride to an inn. Or you could take a longer cab ride from the Hull or Hingham ferries that go back and forth to the Boston waterfront near South Station (and possibly Logan, not sure). Hull is a peninsula close to the Commuter Rail, and has the aforementioned ferry to Boston as well. I believe the Nantasket Beach Resort (maybe not quaint enough for you, but it has balconies overlooking Nantasket Beach [with a road in between], and I think it might have fireplaces) might have a free shuttle to the ferry, so you might even be able to be cabless. There are also some other inns/guest houses bordering Nantasket Beach as well.

Nantasket Beach does have sand, and it's probably pretty warm for around here. I'm not sure about the public beach situation in Cohasset.

Of course if you want to explore the towns it's easier with a car, and nearby Hingham has a good amount of shopping and was voted Best Foodie Town South of Boston or something like that by Boston Magazine because of its large number of top-rated restaurants. And the ride to the end of the peninsula where the Hull ferry is is beautiful, so even if you don't do the ferry, I recommend a drive out there anyway. There are some nice vistas on hills, historic sites, and views of the Boston skyline.

There's also a ferry in the city of Quincy, which is farther away, but I think it might run later at night. Also, it might run on Sundays, and to Logan, and I'm not sure if the Hingham/Hull ferries do. It's been a while since I checked. Quincy to Hull or Cohasset might be a pricey cab ride, though; might be cheaper to rent a car and get picked up by the rental company. Actually, a cab from the Hull ferry to Cohasset Village might be a little pricey too since the ferry's near the very tip of the peninsula. The Hingham ferry is probably the closest ferry to Cohasset.

Be sure to double-check all schedules before making any plans, though, because there's talk of cutting the ferry services due to budget.

If you want a quaint in-water (not just near-water) experience without leaving Boston (well, Charlestown), the Green Turtle Floating B&B gets excellent TA reviews, though I don't know anything about it personally.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Nantasket Beach Resort
Nantasket Beach Resort
925 Reviews
Hull, MA
Nantasket Beach
Nantasket Beach
345 Reviews
Hull, MA
Boston Foodie Tours
Boston Foodie Tours
209 Reviews
Boston, MA
Green Turtle Floating Bed and Breakfast
Green Turtle Floating...
603 Reviews
Boston, MA
10. Re: Sea town close to Boston help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2013, 10:29