We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbury Street area Restaurants

New England
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Topic
Newbury Street area Restaurants

What would you guys say are the top 5 restaurants in the Newbury Street/Boylston Street areas?

I heard that L'Espalier is awsome... also how is Stephanie's on Newbury street?

For less expensive and take out, I have tried Shino Express, Boloco, and Scoozi and all 3 were excellent.

Anyone have some good recommendations?

Thanks!

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbury Street area Restaurants

Hi Again BostonYankee,

I dine in the Back Bay, Newbury St. often. And some of my pick's may surprise you, but here they are.

1) Papa Razzi; love this place; have eaten there over a half dozen times and it has never disappointed. As you may know, it's a chain. But doesn't feel or act like one. At least not the one on Dartmouth St. The atmosphere is fun, the food excellent, and the service wonderful.

2.)Abe & Louie's; Yep, it's wicked expensive, but worth it if you want a huge, juicy steak! The atmosphere is fun too and the bar area is always hopping with activity.

3.)Atlantic Fish Co.; Good seafood and great people watching in the nice weather. Excellent clam chowder too!

4.)Scoozi's; Absolutely love this tiny restaurant, which to me, is better dining at during the nicer weather when you can sit outside. Otherwise, I've often gotten take out from there and have never been disappointed. They actually offer a really nice steak entre too which you wouldn't expect from this sort of place :).

5.)Trident Bookseller/Cafe on lower Newbury almost to Mass. Ave; They have a wonderful and diverse menu; the prices are good; and the atmosphere is like a Harvard Sq. one; of course you can borrow a book, newspaper, or magazine from the racks to enjoy while dining. Last time I ate there I had the best roasted salmon salad. It was inexpensive and the piece of fish was huge! They also offer wireless internet, so you can bring your laptop. Consequently, this is a good place to hang out and while away the hours or even dine alone, as many do.

6.) Can't remember the name of it, but there's a sandwich place at the food court in the Pru Mall that I've recently eaten at a few times. Wish I could remember the name of it. It's one of the first places you see on the left as you enter the court. Anyway, they make lovely sandwiches, all fresh, which you can have on different kinds of bread; there are soups, salads, etc. A cookie is also included in the price of the sandwich. A nice touch!

7.) Shino Sushi Express; see review under Sushi post, but love this tiny place.

8.) Oops, almost forgot Aujourd'hui in the Four Seasons Hotel overlooking the gardens. Absolutely lovely, but definitely a special occasion sort of place. The food, the ambience, the service; all impeccable. Can't think of a negative thing to say!

Have been to Stephanie's on Newbury and truth be told I was not impressed. One time the food was pretty good; another mediocre; yet another time okay. Very inconsistent. For what they charge, it should be good all the time! However, during the nice weather, it is a fun location to people watch. But then again so is Scoozi's or any number of other places on Newbury.

Places to stay away from; Joe's American Bar and Grill and Charley's. Both places were crowded, the service awful, and the food below par. Everything was either fried, in tons of butter, or smothered in cheese or some kind of sauce. Ugh. Even the burgers were not good and how could one mess up basic burgers?

cozyharbor

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
182 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbury Street area Restaurants

My favorite is easilly Tapeo. It's a tapas restaurant with a menu that goes from the more typical (serano ham) to the very interesting (braised rabbit). The patio has limited seating but is great if you can get a table for people watching in nice weather. The sangria is also very good.

Also consider Casa Romeo which is hidden down an alley way near L'Espalier. There's a nice courtyard for outdoor dining and generally nice atmosphere. The food is very good mexican. My only hesitation is that it, like everywhere else in the area, can be expensive compared to similar items I can get elsewhere.

Shino Express is my pick for sushi too but if you're interested in trying something fancier, try Uni. It's nearby but not actually on Newbury -- it's on Commonwealth and Mass Ave.

One last thing that's a bit outside the area, if you do end up liking L'Espalier, try Sel de la Terre. It's the less expensive more casual restaurant owned by the same people. It's on the waterfront near the Aquarium and just great all around. Check out their Wine Wednesdays if you can get a reservation.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbury Street area Restaurants

BostonTraveler 2;

I like Tapeo also. Had forgotten to mention it as it's been awhile since I've eaten there, and wasn't sure if it was still as good I remember. You never know these days as chef's come and go and so do restaurants. Consequently consistency is often a problem.

Anyway, I'll have to try and go again now that it's been recently recommended. Thanks for posting :).

cozyharbor