We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

You guys were really so helpful when we planned our trip to Boston 2 yrs ago.. This time our trip consists of flying into Boston, renting a car and spending time in Portsmouth, Portland and Ogunquit... The last night we have to come back to Boston to visit the North End... Here is what I am seeing.. most rooms 3-400 night.. Can't afford this..... I see some suggestion for John Jeffries House and Oasis Guest House.. Would these places be reasonable choices for just this one night, since our primary reason for staying in Boston is to spend time in the North End..Are they walkable to the north End or would taking the T be necessary?.. Choices on Hotwire are very limited... The date for Boston is June 20th.. Will be returning the rental car on the 20th and taking the T into the city for our last night and then back in the morning to the airport.. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
North End
North End
6,271 Reviews
Boston, MA
John Jeffries House
John Jeffries House
485 Reviews
Boston, MA
Oasis Guest House
Oasis Guest House
497 Reviews
Boston, MA
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
592 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,056 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
710 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

The Biotechnology Industry Organization is holding its convention from June 18th to 21st and expecting 15,500 visitors. I suspect this is what is driving hotel prices through the roof.

Since your objective is the North End, and you are only going to be here for one night an airport hotel may not be a horrible idea in this situation. On Hotwire if you bid on a 4* airport hotel you'll most likely get the Hyatt, but might get the Hilton. These are the ONLY 4* hotels classified as "airport" so it's a relatively "safe" bid.

The other option is to keep your car and stay further out ... but that's a pain in the neck and you still will need to pay to park downtown or at a subway station and take the train in.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Perhaps you could book something cacnellable now that you can live with and try again in 6 weeks or so ...

Edited: 15 March 2012, 14:00
Mentioned in this post
North End
North End
6,271 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,804 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

The John Jeffries House is more convenient to the North End, probably a 20 minute, depending how you go. The Oasis puts you on the other side of town just of out Back Bay in the Fenway area.

I think forgot's idea of staying at the airport is an even better choice. Convenient for you and your car return and easy to get into the North End--take the Blue line from Airport to Aquarium.

Mentioned in this post
John Jeffries House
John Jeffries House
485 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,271 Reviews
Boston, MA
Fenway Park
Fenway Park
13,252 Reviews
Boston, MA
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

Thanks for the airport idea.. I will check thoroughly into that.... looks like my favs of Hyatt place and Hilton garden are equally expensive.. Looks like Comfort inn and suites might be something i could do.. Good reviews... Any experience there.. Never stayed at one of those.. Otherwise , might go with the Jeffries house.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

Why not reverse your trip and start it with a night in Boston then pick up a car back at the airport the next day and head north? You might get a much better selection of rooms at better rates that way . . .if the timing of your flights allows for this anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

Good idea Boston2DC

Which Comfort Inn and which Hilton Garden are you talking about? And, the airport hotels could be pricey, too ... it's an easy commute from there to the convention center.

Boston...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

Staying at logan is a good idea if you have a very early morning flight.

If not, I would do the john jeffries house and do breakfast around Charles Street. The other advantage of staying in town is if you want to have a light night cocktail. The logan hotels are nice but limit you and cannot compare to being at the foot of beacon hill.

Mentioned in this post
Charles Street
Charles Street
91 Reviews
Boston, MA
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

airport - on both Comfort and Hilton....

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

Is Charles St close to the John Jeffries?.. Last time we were in Boston we really had to search for a good breakfast.

Mentioned in this post
Charles Hotel
Charles Hotel
1,994 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,441 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

Yes.The JJ Inn is practically on Charles Street.

Mentioned in this post
Charles Street
Charles Street
91 Reviews
Boston, MA
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: You guys rocked 2 yrs ago.. Visiting again/ have a few ?

Thanks