We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milltown, NJ
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

We're coming to Boston this weekend to visit a few colleges. We will have two boys, 14 and 17 with us. We're driving in on Friday and doing two college tours, so won't be done til around 4:30p. I'm guessing we'll be pretty drained after driving and two tours. We'll be staying at the Colonnade, so for Friday night, I thought we'd just go to the Prudential center and have dinner/wander etc. Saturday we have a tour at Northeastern that should end around 12:30. We're looking for something to do for the rest of Saturday (we'll be staying over Saturday night), that might give us a "feel" for the area. Unfortunately, we don't have much time in Boston, so we're looking to see the most in the short period of time.

I've read reviews on the Duck tours, trolley tours, freedom trail, and most reviews are good for all these things. Now I'm overwhelmed and not sure what to pick. What would you experts recommend for us first timers?

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

All the things you mentioned are great things to do. I would do the freedom trail first. The duck tours is a lot of fun and now open for the season.

A Fenway tour is also a lot of fun.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

A Duck Tour makes sense because it will give you the quick overview and feel for the city you are looking for.

The restauraunt in your hotel, Brassrie Jo is actually very good and reasonable and should have something for everybody.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

Take them to Harvard Square. Or just give them some money and send them there on the Red Line.

Boston...
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

I would do the freedom trail or duck tour depending on your preferences. If you want to see a lot of the city while walking, do the freedom trail. If you prefer to be driven, do the duck tour. Duck tours are usually what I do when friends or family visit from out of town.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,511 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

The Duck Tour is not a substitute for walking the Freedom Trail. Even if you do riding, you still will have to walk to most of the actual sites to see them. And how are you going to drive up from NJ and see two colleges on the same day? I don't think it's really doable, but for certain it won't be pleasurable.

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
519 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

how about a tour of Fenway Park?

i dont think the season has started yet (i should probably know this but i dont) but i do think they do tours of the stadium which can be fun if your kids are sports fans.

i would say also the Duck Boat tour would give you the best overview of the city and you wouldnt have to worry about driving/parking/getting lost.

nys
Level Contributor
197 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

The Duck Tours are fun and provide a nice overview. I think you might be ready to relax and ride after all the college tours. I'd also take them to Quincey market to walk around and check out the shops. There is a groupon available right now for the Duck Tours.

Edited: 19 March 2012, 19:37
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

Walk the freedom trail on Saturday. It will give you a great feel for Boston.

On Friday night, I'd encourage you to wander around the Back Bay neighborhood rather than going to the Prudential Center. The Pru is really just a big mall, not unlike malls everywhere. There are plenty of nearby restaurants in the neighborhood.

Milltown, NJ
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

Thanks for all your responses. I'm actually leaning toward the Duck tour as I think the kids will be bored with the freedom trail after a short while. If it was just DH and I, I'd go with the freedom trail.

I had read great reviews about Brasserie Jo's, and we're thinking of having dinner there to celebrate DHs birthday.

We are aware that two colleges in one day is ambitious. We originally just had one planned for 2p, but figured if we get up a little earlier, we could squeeze in one more since we're already there. So we'll be at BC from 11-1, then BU from 2-4. Then just decompressing from the drive and info overload, hopefully with a beverage in hand.

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for recommendation for things to do with teens

I'd recommend Fire & Ice on Berkeley Street or in Harvard Square for dinner one night. It's a fun place and the food's good.