We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Easter Time

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Boston Easter Time

We have just booked a last minute trip to Boston (flights only so far) and can't wait, although a lot to plan in just over 10 days. We fly into Boston from London and out of NY 9 days later. We want to spend more time in Boston and Maine and or Rhode Island than New York as we have been to NY a few times, but never Boston. We have a 15 month old baby who is a good traveller and very easy going.

Our main decision whether to drive up to Bar Habour, Acadia NP and possibly also down to Provincetown, Cap Cod and Rhode Island or if this is too much. I suppose there maybe somewhere closer that is more ideal. We don't mind making it full days our baby will sleep later in the day/evening when we are happy to drive back.

Our plan is to spend at least the first 2 days in Boston around sights such as the Freedom Trail, Harvard, Cambridge, Boston Common, Cheers bar amongst others). Also maybe Fenway Park, JFK Library & Museum. Legal seafoods and Tia's are on the list to eat at. After that we plan to hire a car and drive outside of Boston before catching a train to NY (unless dropping the car in NY is easier).

Does this sound feasible to fit in Bar Habour, Acadia NP and Rhode Island if we catch a train to NY on the evening Day 7?

Also I know my baby won't adjust to the time zone the first night or two. I am used to not much sleep so that part doesn't bother me, but I just need somewhere to go so the wife can sleep. Not knowing Boston, I presume I should just make sure that the hotel I stay at has a 24 hour bar/common area so I can take him somewhere. I know this is probably unlikely, but is there areas or places that I could stay to take the little bloke out at 3/4am to 7am that would be safe at that time?

Thanks for any advice.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Easter Time

Just so you know, bars are not allowed to stay open after 2 AM. In fact, not much of anything is open at that time, except for 24 hour drug stores.You'll have to make do with your hotel lobby, so plan accordingly.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Easter Time

Chinatown is open after 2:00 am but no alcohol. The North End is busy until after 4:00am and again no drinking. South street diner in south station on kneeland street is open late.

North end places late in the am to go are cafe Pompei and cafe vittoria

Edited: 24 March 2012, 23:04
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Easter Time

Just so you know, April is not 'summer' in New England. Bar Harbor and Acadia will be quiet and could be very cold. Provincetown will also be very quiet.

Both places could be very well worth the visit.but you need to understand they will not be outdoor havens they are in July.

Happy Planning!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Easter Time

the distances are not great, really, and you can do all that in 7 days. I think we went to Bar Harbor when our son was 7 months old - I can still remember the songs we sang riding in the car (he's 24 years old now).

I would not go out of any hotel at 2 AM in Boston with a toddler. the only people out at that hour in Boston are vampires or zombies. Boston is not New York or London.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Easter Time

I don't know about the Cafe Pompei, but the Cafe Vittoria closes before 1 AM.

Edited: 25 March 2012, 03:11
Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Easter Time

I have to agree with Thomas about taking a toddler out to bars at that time..not to mention it could be pretty chilly out at that hour. Hotel lobbies are open round the clock so I would just camp out with some toys etc. in the lobby. I am sure the night staff would welcome the company. I guess you could also consider getting a two room suite if it is in your budget.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,757 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Easter Time

Given your limited time and the long drive, I would not recommend Provincetown in early April. It's still in winter mode, with a greatly reduced activity level. Some shops and restaurants are closed or operating with reduced hours. The town will look a bit drearier than in late spring - early fall.

I would also question whether Acadia NP would be worth the time investment in early April. Trees will still be mostly bare. Some facilities will not be open.

Newport, RI would be a nice place to spend a day or two. If you let us know your interests, forum members can suggest other places to visit in early April. You could easily enjoy 4-5 days in Boston.

You don't mention budget, but have you considered a Boston vacation apartment rental rather than a hotel?

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Easter Time

Ok sorry about the bad info on vittoria, but Pompei will be open.

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Easter Time

Thanks for al the advice. With the advice and looking more at Acadia NP & Bar Harbour I have decided not to visit there as I don't think it is ideal for this trip and this time of year.

I definitely want to visit Newport, Rhode Island as a Australian to see where we won the America's Cup and I also I plan to do the cliff walk, ocean drive, see the mansions and walk and look around town.

In Boston I would prefer an apartment rental, so I will look to find a suitable website. Any suggestions? If I can't find an apartment, then I will get a hotel with a good common area for the little bloke. Ideally I don't want to pay more than $250US a night, but I know Boston is expensive, so I would rather pay more to have a nice central place, than stay on the outskirts. My wife though has been recommended a suite near the airport as a good option as it is only 2 stops away on the T from downtown.

Our interests are not so much museums, but we do like to visit a few of them each trip. We enjoy walking, seeing the sights and stopping to enjoy a coffee, lunch and a drink later in the day. My wife also wants to do a bit of shopping for clothes, camera and a few other things either in town or at an outlet. We also enjoy the coast and interacting with locals and other tourists.

I think we will do 4 days in Boston, 2 days in Newport, Rhode Island and 2 days in NY with 1 day spare visit elsewhere or spend in Boston and get to NY.

Thanks, I think this seems more relaxing and will give us time to see the places better and time for the little bloke to play, see the aquarium as well.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston Easter Time

You guys are still talking about that keel. :-) I remember when I was in Melbourne for six weeks around Christmas 1980 people were aware that Boston was near Newport and knew of it from the America's Cup, and this was BEFORE Australia II won it, so it's fascinating to me that Australians still associate Newport with that sport.

Our son's first trip to Italy was when he was about 15. I remember he liked carrying around empty wine bottles and I spent a lot of time reading a book about a purple puppy to him. It was on the trip that I realized he understood English but not Italian, even though he was still mostly in his babbling stage. I'm trying to think of things he might enjoy doing in New England but can't really think of anything in particular. He won't remember any of it. :-)