We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a little help on hotels

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need a little help on hotels

Trying to put together a family vacation for this June. Considering this plan:

Flying into Providence as can get a really cheap fare.

Renting a car.

Staying at one of these Residence Inn hotels (must be Marriott as trying to use certificates) (all of these have a 2 bedroom which is STRONGLY preferred by the family) (all offer free parking):

- Dedham $259 (says commuter rail stop within walking distance)

- Woburn $209 (says Anderson Regional Transportation Center is located directly across from the hotel)

- North Shore Danvers $154 (description doesn't mention anything about being close to transportation)

Spending a few days in Boston seeing normal family stuff then driving up to Bar Harbor, ME to see Acadia.

Do any of these hotels just simply not work or would some work better than others?

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a little help on hotels

Flying into tf green then the deham location would be the pick. It also is close to legacy place, something you should check out.

Driving into Boston is not difficult, if you choose. But the commuter rail is easy enough to back bay or south station.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a little help on hotels

Do check schedules on the commuter rail (especially if you're here on a weekend). It depends on the line, how often the commuter rail trains run. They're called the purple line. For times see www.mbta.com

I agree with Dedham being your best option. Do add up the cost of transport though--it may equal to that of parking at a more centrally located Marriott Residence Inn, like the one in Kendall Square in Cambridge.

If staying outside of the city, you also have the option to drive to a subway/trolley lot, and pay to park. The subway runs much more often than the commuter rail. The closest stations to Dedham would be Woodland on the Green Line, and, I think, Braintree on the Red Line.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a little help on hotels

Just want to confirm that the Residence Inn in Danvers is not near public transit. You could drive to the commuter rail stop in Salem (though the parking lot tends to fill up early in the day) or to outlying subway stations in Revere (Wonderland on blue line) or Medford (Wellington on orange line). It sounds like you have better options though.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a little help on hotels

Danvers puts you closer on the Rte to Acadia, but as mentioned, it is not near public transportation.

How many of you will be travelling?. It might be cheaper or close to break even to drive into the city and pay to park.

From Woburn or Dedham, there are no tolls and you can park at the Boston Common Garage for $27 up to 24 hours, Woburn to Boston on the Lowell line of the commuter rail is $4.75 one way per person. Dedham to Boston on the Franklin/Forge Park line is the same price. So $9.50 round trip, if you have 3 people,that's $28.50, enough to pay for parking and some gas, if you have 4 people, it's cheaper to drive.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a little help on hotels

So, I'm assuming that cost is a factor in your hotel selection since you posted the prices. I would not say that Dedham is $50/night nicer than Woburn. The one down side to Woburn is that you are isolated once you're at the hotel. You could, however, walk to the train station. Dedham has a very nice mall nearby, but you'd better not come to Boston to visit suburban shopping malls and dine in chain restaurants.

Since you're going to Maine at some point, I don't think it should matter if you stay closer to Providence, You'll be heading in the Woburn and Danvers direction anyway. No, as for Danvers versus Woburn. The one thing I like about the Danvers option is that you can shoot over to Salem to take the train into town, and then you can also spend an evenin/afternoon exploring Salem and Marblehead. Again, I don't think Woburn is $55 nicer than Danvers -- especially if you don't mind driving to Salem to grab the train.

As others have noted, you need to check the train scheduled. They are referred to as "commuter rail" on the MBTA's web site, are NOT subways, and for Dedham, they bring you to either the Back Bay or South Station, and for Woburn and Salem lines, they bring you into North Station. Both city locations are good, and both connect to the subway for more transport.

As far as driving in, FMP makes a good case for driving in -- it's about the same money -- and with a GPS, driving into Boston is not nearly as daunting as some would have you believe. Your call, but be sure to check the trains for weekday and Saturday/Sunday schedules as you make your plans.

LMM

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a little help on hotels

I haven't heard legacy place described as a small mall. Agree that the focus should be on Boston, but it's nice to have the option. Also near is one of jasper white's summer shack.

Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a little help on hotels

FYI that the Residence Inn in Woburn is not directly across from the hotel..it is about a half mile but I would no recommend walking it...pretty busy roads and I think some parts do not have sidewalks. They do offer a shuttle service however since I see it regularly. I like LoonMountain's suggestion of Danvers...especially if you have a car. This area gives you lots more options of things to do.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a little help on hotels

"I haven't heard legacy place described as a small mall"

Nor have (or did) I.

Check the reviews on Summer Shack before going.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a little help on hotels

If you are leaving the area for Maine during the week (and not on the Weekend), staying in Danvers would be huge advantage because of traffic - it would probably save you a couple of hours.

If you are a Costco member, there is a Costco near the Residence Inn in Danvers with both a liquor store and a Costco gas station (although you have to back-track a bit to get from Costco from the Residence Inn).

Commuter Rail is so expensive it makes more sense to drive into the city with a group of 4 anyway.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a little help on hotels

One more note about commuter rail: The parking lot in Salem used to fill up in the early morning. Based on a recent observation of some empty spaces in the lot at noontime and data on the MBTA website (parking availability <32%), this may no longer be the case. Nonetheless, I'd allow extra time to find alternative parking in Salem (such as one of the city garges, which will require a walk back to the train) or to head for an outlying subway station instead. I think it would be better to skip commuter rail and go to the subway station in the first place (Wonderland in Revere has plenty of public and private parking) or drive into Boston as suggested by thomas144. You can stop at Costco on your way back to the Residence Inn if you want--no backtracking involved. ;-)