We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a Car??

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a Car??

Hi,

I will be visiting Boston in September and staying in the south end area (Clarendon street). Do you think it's worthwhile to hire a car or is it best to make do with public transport and walking??

Thanks in advance for any help you're able to provide!

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
592 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,056 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
712 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,164 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a Car??

I wouldn't . You cannot drive from site to site and easily park and weekday parking can be very expensive ... the cheapest I know of is $27 for 24 hours with no in/out priviliges.

if you want to go some place further away, it might be worth while to rent one for the day you are travelling but it makes no sense to rent one for the days you plan to be in the city.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,458 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a Car??

Good advice from forgot... No car necessary.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a Car??

You will save a lot of money .

Boston
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a Car??

If it's one thing we repeat over and over here it is if you are staying downtown there is no need for a car. A car is more of an expensive hindrance than a convenience in Boston. Boston is compact and very easy to get around by subway and on foot.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a Car??

How do we get people to know that up front rather than asking over and over and over again? We already made it a Top Question.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a Car??

I think you have to realize that many could be posting from their iPhones, which don't display the info of which you cite.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a Car??

Thanks for all your help. Sorry if it is a repetitive question but financialwiz is right. I was using the iphone app which doesn't really show the top asked questions just the most recent and I hadn't seen any relating to this.

Thanks again though:)

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a Car??

Thanks ally for the confirmation. There seems to be a lot of new posters, and not many under the age of 30, stay glued to a computer monitor. The rental car question will get asked again.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a Car??

Guess so. Does that mean the website has to be redesigned for mobile aps? Or does it mean that the capability to view those other categories will be gone forever?

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a Car??

I think the mobile app is just fine. If someone wants to see more, they can click on desktop. But the desktop is tough to navigate on the iPhone.

I think you have to either choose to answer the repititious questions or pass them by.

Right now, the mobile app is perfect, so please don't go adding anything to it