We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston April 23- April 27

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Boston April 23- April 27

I am scheduled to attend a conference on the above dates and currently have a reservation at the Boston Park Plaza. I have been reading the reviews and have become concerned about the many negative comments regarding mice and out of control temperature conditions. If it's too hot I can't sleep. I think I ready somewhere that the windows open in the older section? If so then no problem with keeping my room cool. But to be on the safe side I am considering moving to a different hotel. I have looked at LMT and found 3.5 and 4 star properties that are available for my dates and are about the same rate ($190 give or take a few $$) as the BPP. The only property I could identify was the Marriott. One other had a restaurant name of Brasserie Jo and had a rooftop pool. Another also had a rooftop pool as well as as indoor one. Since my conference is at the BPP and I will be exhibiting I don't want to be too far away. Can the experts give me their recommendations on which of the above would be best suited and convenient/close to the BPP?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston April 23- April 27

There are 5 Marriott properties in Downtown Boston, so you'll have to be a lot more explicit with your description. The Colonnade, where Brasserie Jo is located, is a fine hotel located about a mile away.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston April 23- April 27

I would pay more attention to the trip reports on this forum. If you go thru the recents threads you will see someone who recently stayed at the park plaza hotel and loved it.

You also have to pay attention to the age of the reviews.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston April 23- April 27

I just went to LMT and looked for your date for 1 person.

Here's what I saw, which is probably what you saw.

3.5 * Back Bay Hotel for $173 is the Marriott Copley Place, the multi-story lobby, in addition to the name is what gives it away.

4* Back Bay hotel for $199 is the Back Bay Hilton.

4* Back Bay for $183 w/ Brasserie Jo is the Colonnade as Alan said.

4* Back Bay for $191 is the Back Bay Hotel (part of the Doyle collection) -- but this one is ON REQUEST

4* Back Bay for $199 is the Sheraton -- it has 2 pool pictures, one w/ roof closed, one w/ roof opened. this is how to distinquish it from the hilton at the same price

Of all those I've listed, I'd choose the Back Bay Hotel or the Colonnade

Edited: 31 March 2012, 17:11
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston April 23- April 27

I have personal experience with out-of-control temperature at the Park Plaza, and it was winter. Opening windows won't necessarily help because you won't have good cross ventilation.

I'd grab one of the LMT deals.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston April 23- April 27

Thanks to all on your responses and information. After re-visiting the TA reviews of the Park Plaza I decided that I did not want to chance that I would have issues with their "out of control temperature situation" There were just too many negative reviews on this forum for me to overlook. I went ahead and booked the Back Bay on LMT for the needed nights and even got a better deal at $183 + taxes. I choose the Back Bay over the Colonnade due to it's close proximity to the Park Plaza (just a short .25mi walk).

Thanks again to all of you DEs for providing such a wealth of helpful advice and guidance. It is an invaluable tool to have when traveling to new areas.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,999 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston April 23- April 27

So you got the Back Bay Hotel even though it was 'On Request"? Very cool!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston April 23- April 27

forgotmypassword: The "leisure" room was on request but the standard room was available. I ended up calling LMT as their website had "Call for special offer" banner and that's how I got the $183 rate. I feel badly not supporting the hotel where the confence is at but a good nights rest is priceless!

Boston...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston April 23- April 27

Back Bay Hotel is very nice. I think the yelp reviews from the jury days are manufactured, but it is still a nice hotel.

Nothing wrong with the Park Plaza. It was one of the official hotels of First Night, and most of the staff stayed there and expressed how nice the hotel was. I spoke to many guests of the park plaza who came thru the Hynes, and all were happy.

9. Re: Boston April 23- April 27

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 10:19