We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

connecticut
Level Contributor
61 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

Coming from Connecticut, whats the best way to get to a 11 am Fenway game on Marathon Monday.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

Mass Pike to Exit 18 towards Cambridge. Turn right at the lights onto Storrow Drive to the Kenmore Square Exit. For parking, you're on your own.

Normally, I would have suggested exiting at the NEXT exit towards Prudential Center and parking there, except that is at the Boston Marathon Finish Line, so I'm not sure what you might encounter when you gt there.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

Mass pike to the Allston/Cambridge exit. Follow signs to storrow drive. Once on storrow follow signs to inbound boylston. The kenmore sq will be blocked off anyway. Once on boylston follow the people flagging for your parking business

Parking will be tight and expensive. You may want to stat on storrow to the back bay exit and use the Boston common garage.

I would stay away from the prudential.

Edited: 03 April 2012, 00:13
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,612 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

The runners come through Kenmore Square so I think the roads around there will be closed as well.

Check the Boston Globe on-line before you come and see where and when road closures will happen. You may be able to exit at the Pru from the Mass. Pike and go into their garage. Or come into town on 93, get off at the Mass. Ave. exit and park around Huntington Ave. behind the Prudential or near Symphony Hall. You can check parking lots and garages at www.boston.bestparking.com

Lots will be fuller because there are crowds for the marathon.

Or you could come up early and park at Riverside on the Green Line off of 95/128--it's the Grove St. exit. It will take about 45 minutes on the Green Line to get into Kenmore. Don't go to Woodland Station because that's on the marathon route.

You can also take the Red Line from Braintree but then you'd have to change to the Green Line at Park St.

Was posting at the same time as fw. If you do park on Boylson near the Park, be aware that it will cost about $50.

Edited: 03 April 2012, 00:18
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

I have always parked at Riverside and taken the T in but you need to account for the T being extra busy that day...

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,445 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

I was going to suggest Riverside, too. First I thought Woodlawn, but the Marathon runs by there and it will be closed.

How close are you to Amtrak? You may want to consider Amtrak to Back Bay.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

I just checked last year's closures and it appears that the Prudential Exit off the Mass. Turnpike remained open. Given that, i would park at the Prudential Center and walk over to Fenway Park.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

The prudential exit is open every year on marathon day. I was remembering one year when it was full, that is why I advised to skip it. Also, even though the exit is open, the only options are sometimes straight to Stuart or right on darmouth.

Driving on streets near the marathon can be the most confusing day of the year.

Boston...
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

I would probably park at Riverside and take the T the rest of the way. Either way, whether you park at Riverside or the Pru, come early.

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

I'd say drive to one of the south suburbs on the Stoughton/Providence line of the Commuter Rail (or even Providence itself, if that's on your way) to Back Bay. It's not as expensive as Amtrak and it takes you to the same place. From there, you can either walk to Fenway, or pick up the Green Line at nearby Copley and take it to Kenmore.

Or, since you're coming from Connecticut, and I don't know what route you're coming by, you might come close to Worcester. If that's the case, you can take the Commuter Rail from Worcester or somewhere around there to Yawkey. I'll post links to the timetables for each line so that you can figure times if you choose to come by way of Commuter Rail. The train runs on a regular weekday schedule that day.

Providence/Stoughton line:

mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/…

Framingham/Worcester line:

mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/…

Hope that helps.

connecticut
Level Contributor
61 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to Fenway on Marathon day

Thank you everyone, great advice !