We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
US Airways

When looking for flights to Boston from Edinburgh (via Heathrow), I came across US Airways with a flight Edinburgh-Heathrow-Philadelphia-Boston at quite a good price (less than £500). I then decided maybe we could get of the plane in Philly instead (our plans are very flexible) however missing out the onward flight to Boston cost meant cost rose to over £1000!! Anyone know why this would be?

thanks Rettie

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Airways

It would help if you told us what dates are you looking at, also whether you are pricing round-trip tickets, or what. I don't actually see the cheaper fare to Boston that you refer to on US Airways - but I do see it with only one stop on AerLingus. (looking in mid June just out of curiosity).

so I guess my first response is: show me what you are talking about. aerlingus doesn't fly to Philadelphia - it's possible that US AIrways feels they have to match Aerlingus' fare, but I don't see them attempting to that for any of the dates I looked at.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 19:56
Maine
Level Contributor
893 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US Airways

When an airline prices tickets it is from origin to destination, where it makes connections isn't considered in the pricing. So in this case they have set the price for an Edinburgh to Boston flight without considering that it connects in PHL. An Edinburgh to Philadelphia flight is priced completely separately.

There is could be more competition on the Edinburgh to Boston route so they have priced the flight to stay competitive with other airlines.

Also, just so you know, if you purchase a round trip ticket from Edinburgh to Boston and decide not to take the Philadelphia to Boston portion of the ticket, then the airline will cancel all subsequent flights. So your Boston to Edinburgh return would no longer be valid.

Didn't want you to do this to try and save a few bucks and end up with a rude surprise when you tried to take the flight home.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Airways

Airline pricing is a confusing mystery, has to do with hubs, competiton, etc. Could change tomorrow.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 20:18
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Airways

Thanks. Boston is our ultimate destination. Just thought it might have been at least the same price & would have just taken plane ticket to Philly rather than 4 sepa

rate flights, as we love the place & then driven to Boston over the next couple of days taking in the sights. Then spent a few days in Philly on the way back, just visited there last year & love the place. Going to watch prices for direct to Boston, New York or Philly for this years break.

We will also be spending a few days in Boston before going to the Cape for a week.

Rettie

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Airways

to illustrate what sox fan said

My daughter and boyfriend were flying to Majorca thru Barcelona. they wanted to spend a few days in Barcelona before getting to Majorca. so, I told them to just get off and catch a plane for $50 to Majorca later. It was a good thing they figured out that by not getting back on the plane in Barcelona would have canceled the BALANCE OF THE TICKET. So, they ended up flying to Majorca and I paid for them to catch a flight back to Barcelona because they had rooms booked already. If you don't get an open jaw ticket, this is what you risk.

It used to be that people figured out that the cheapest way from say Boston to Santa Fe was to book to San Diego with a stop and just get off because the Bos to SF ticket cost more. Airlines aren't that stupid and fixed their computers and their ticket policies to prevent this.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Airways

We've bought tickets in the past that allowed a stopover got them at good prices too, well aware of the consequences of not doing so. This time just going to fly to best priced destination as long as we are within a day of Cape Cod, have no set plans yet just ideas on what to do with our other 7 days.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 22:52
Maine
Level Contributor
893 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: US Airways

International flights frequently allow a stopover. If you want to do a stop in PHL on your way to Boston I would check with the airline and see if it would be allowed on the ticket. There is not usually a charge for this, but it may have a maximum time limit for the stop.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: US Airways

I doubt you will find an all inclusive package.

I would not go thru Philly either.

Check out delta 231 which goes from Amsterdam to Logan. The ba flights from heathrow to Logan run on time

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Airways

Thanks. We are very experienced fliers to the US, usually look for the best deal on our chosen driiving route & work our plans around that. This year not really doing our usual touring holiday, just a few days touring than a whole week relaxing in Cape Cod. . At the moment Aer Lingus are coming up next best after the US airways flights. Waiting to see next BA sale.

Rettie

10. Re: US Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:41