We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

Our family of four (2 adults/2 teens) are travelling to Boston in Aug. to check out colleges and visit the historic sights. Our daughter's primary interest is BU and Boston College. Realize these aren't close to one another. What is a good central area to stay in? Are we better off with a vacation rental or hotel? We are staying 3 nights min. and possibly as many as 5 nights. We looked into a townhouse rental near Tremont Street. Is this a good area? Suggestions are welcome!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

Since both schools are towards the west, staying in Back Bay seems like a reasonable choice for you. It's also the major shopping and museum area as well. Copley Square is very central and has easy access to the Green Line Subway, which you will be needing. Townhouse or not is up to you, based on what you want. Parts of Tremont Street are okay and others not so much, as it winds through Downtown, the South End and Roxbury. It's a long street, so parts may be convenient and others not as well. Hard to know from the limited info you provide.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

If your Tremont rental is between berkeley and mass ave, you'll be fine. The best way from here to Bu would be a cab. This would take ten minutes. Bu to BC is connected by the green line.

Mbta.com

Boston
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

BU and BC are really not that far from one another. They are both on the same trolley line, the B branch of the Green Line. It cuts through the BU campus and ends at the BC stop.

Tremont St. is a long street. I'm guessing the townhouse is probably in the South End, though. It's mostly a nice area, but not everywhere there is very close to a subway stop.

It's up to you whether you prefer a rental or hotel. Boston is compact and easy to get around by foot and subway, so you can stay in a lot of different areas and be just fine. That said, Back Bay is a good suggestion as it is a nice, vibrant area and handy to the Green Line.

colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

Cross streets are Montgomery and Dartmouth streets in the South End. Any suggestions for the Copley Square area? I will look at hotels in that area. Thank you!

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

Darmouth and Tremont is very nice. Claredon and Tremont is one of my favorite areas. A ten minute walk on darmouth will have you in Copley back bay.

Claredon is one block from darmouth. Sounds like you picked a nice place.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

That's a good area of Tremont Street, but if you prefer a closer Copley Square Hotel, there are many including the Back Bay, Copley Plaza, Copley Square, Marriott and Westin Copley Place, Lenox, Sheraton and Hilton Back Bay.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 23:27
colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

Great! I think the apt. looks very nice, but my kids are angling for another option.

Do you know anything about the Kendall hotel in Cambridge. Both the apt. and this hotel are about the same price. Would it be more of a hassle to stay at the Kendall? My kids like the idea of a converted firehouse. We won't have a car and will have to rely on public transit and/or cabs. Thanks!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

I don't see why staying at the Kendall should be any sort of a hassle. It gets good reviews, I believe, and with a Red Line T stop right there, it gives easy access to both downtown Boston and Harvard Square, which you should certainly visit and which your kids will probably enjoy.

However, the apartment is in a much prettier neighborhood than Kendall Square, and even though the nearest T station is several blocks away, I think it's more conveniet for getting to BU and BC.

They're both good locations.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

The Kendall is not as convenient for visiting BC and BU, but it is certainly doable. Although new restaraurants and bars have been added to Kendall Square recently, it is still a very "officey" area and won't be as lively at night as the Back Bay. But, as was mentioned, you are a short subway ride to Harvard Square or downtown Boston.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for hotel or vacation rental in August

Folks keep comparing the Kendall location with Back Bay, but Tremont Street isn't in Back Bay - it's in the South End. So neither location is perfect for your circumstance, but both are very workable. The kendall Hotel, BTW, is quite adorable and interesting (I don't say anything like that very often).