We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Lingo

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Boston Lingo

I'm stealing this idea from Brooklyn Mel on the New York City forum. He started a thread about "local language" and it's been a lot of fun. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5337859…

I thought we'd try it here.

What language, terminology or other things are "unique" to our area ... also what common mistakes to you hear that you find annoying?

Some things that came up in the New York thread apply to Boston too ... but other things are uniquely Bostonian.

I'll start with a few:

There is no S on the end of Boston Common or Boston Garden.

If an ice-cream shop is Boston-based, a concoction of milk, syrup and ice cream is a frappe (pronounced frap) not a milkshake.

A frappe, pronounced frap-pay seems to be McD's invention.

A regular coffee means coffee, cream and sugar. A regular decaf is the same thing, made with decafeinated coffee.

OK ... who's nexxt?

Edited: 21 April 2012, 15:31
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Lingo

The way to get the right names for Boston Common and Public Garden is by remembering that they are singular places with singular names.

Local hyperlocal media leader, Adam Gaffin has a "Wicked Good Guide to Boston English" over at Universal Hub. I click over there when I hear a new Bostonism.

www.universalhub.com/glossary/index.html

But, collecting a few good tidbits here will be fun. Not a word but a local habit. We tend to give directions based on places that are not more. "As in, it's right near the Tower Record building."

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Lingo

We can refight the battle over "Faneuil" again. Most Bostonians pronounce it Fan-u-el (rhyming with manual). Once in a while you'll hear a tv announcer say it should be pronounced "Fannel", as in rhyming with flannel. But correctly it should actually be Fan-noy' (from the French), although nobody here would recognize that.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,831 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Lingo

... and one more singular versus plural: It's the Public Garden (with NO "S").

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Lingo

I have to stop myself for calling any soft drink a glass of "tonic" because people who didn't grow up here think I'm referring to tonic water.

Even though I don't have a pronounced Boston accent, I do tend to say "draw" for "drawer."

And expanding a bit on Penny's observation about giving directions by referring to the former names of buildings, we also tend to abbreviate everything we can. So it's the Tower Records on Mass. Ave. near Comm. Ave.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Lingo

To expand a bit more - if you are from Massachusetts, you never say "Massachusetts" - Mass Ave, Mass General, MassPike (now all one word on the signs) Also, we don't mess around with syllables - if a word, name or phrase has too many, we just chop them off: "The T", "The Sox", "Dot Ave" "The Bs" "The Cs" "MFA" "Yaz" and then, sometimes we add a few in "Squay-ah"

And, how lest we forget: "So don't I" when we are agreeing with something someone else mentions

Edited: 21 April 2012, 18:28
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Lingo

Thanks for the link Penny. It's fun.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Lingo

Gonna resurrect a classic: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k153606…

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Lingo

No suh... this thread is a wicked frickin pissa!

A carbonated soft drink is a "tonic"

A sandwich on a long roll is a "grinder"

A round sandwich roll is a "bulkie roll"

Hot dogs are "frankfurts"

A "spa" is a luncheonette.

"American Chop Suey" is a loose concoction of macaroni, ground beef, tomato sauce.

A millkshake is a "frappe" (pronounced frap) and a "milkshake" is just milk and flavored syrup (no ice cream)

Chocolate sprinkles on your ice cream are "jimmies"

Need to wash that down with a cold beer? A "package store" (or "Packie") is a small neighborhood store where beer can be purchased..

Highway shoulders are "breakdown lanes"

Car turn signals are "directionals"

Visiting Cape Cod? You're going "down the Cape"

Traffic circles are "rotaries"

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Lingo

bubbler: water fountain

carriage: shopping cart

packie: liquor store

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston Lingo

Ironically, we have regional local words, too! Christnp2 mentions grinder but on the North Shore it is a Sub! (I believe South of the city calls it grinder?)

When you order a sub, you usually mention that you want it "with" or "Without" hots

(with chopped mixed of hot peppers or without the hots) also chopped pickles are commonly used on Italian Subs.

Steak Tips, Roast Beef sandwiches, fried clams (with belly's), steamers are just a few local foods that are frequently offered at take out joints.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 14:45