We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel locations and suggestions

Roseville...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel locations and suggestions

My husband and I (both in our early 30s) are planning our vacations and will be in Boston from June 13-18. We will do the traditional tourist stuff except for shopping. I can't seem to figure out which area is best to stay in as they all sound great.

I would like to find something ideally no more than $275 a night, in a centrally located area, and at least 3 stars. If possible, we would also like a fridge and/or microwave. We generally like to stay in places that have a decent amount of nightlife (but not too much late night noise as I am a light sleeper), good places to eat, some local feel, and close to transportation. I tend to like charming non-chain hotels, but price usually trumps that. This will be a post-anniversary trips as well so any suggestions for something a little special is welcomed.

Thank you all in advanced!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel locations and suggestions

What does "the traditional tourist stuff except for shopping" mean? Are you interesting in shopping, or not? Do traditional tourists go shopping or is shopping not what tourists traditionally do?

Pretty much all of Boston can be described as "places that have a decent amount of nightlife (but not too much late night noise as I am a light sleeper), good places to eat, some local feel, and close to transportation."

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel locations and suggestions

Not sure on how prices are running mid-june, but graduation is over. But for starters, check out Nine-Zero, Lenox, Copley Square Hotel and the Back Bay Hotel.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 11:47
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel locations and suggestions

Ooop ... the fridge/microwave might be a show-stopper on all the ones I mentioned .... often hotels will add a fridge, but my experience is that microwaves are not that common in the more upscale hotels.

Also, check travelocity, etc. You sometimes find bargains there. And the Back Bay Hotel and the Copley Square Hotel have been showing up on http://www.lastminutetravel.com. You can match up the photos to figure out which one it is.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 11:53
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel locations and suggestions

The fridge/microwave will greatly limit your options. Most of the most centrally located Boston hotels don't have them.

Back Bay would be a good neighborhood choice. I'd go for the larger hotels with many floors. You can request a higher floor, which will be quieter. Many of the Back Bay hotels are in relatively quiet areas anyway.

LastMinuteTravel.com often has good deals on Boston hotels that are easily identified from photos or details. Lots of options for your dates:

- the 3.5 star in Back Bay for $173 is the Marriott Copley Place.

-The 4 star Back Bay for $186 with 390 guest rooms is the Hilton Boston Back Bay.

- the 3 star Back Bay for $228 is the Park Plaza. It's a beautiful, historic hotel but some of the rooms are pretty bad. I'd pass on that one.

- the 4 star Back bay for $195 with 1,216 guestrooms is the Sheraton Boston.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel locations and suggestions

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will look into them. The fridge/microwave isn't necessary it it just nice to have if possible.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel locations and suggestions

I'd like to put in a plug for The Kendall (http://kendallhotel.com/ ) located in Cambridge (just over the river from Boston.) The Kendall is small, charming, and non-chain. It's in a building that used to be a fire station. It's true you will find ZERO night life in Kendall Sq. (the only things nearby are MIT and lots of high-tech companies) but you're within easy reach of Harvard Sq. and all of Boston via the Red Line subway.

I have no affiliation with The Kendall at all, I just live and work in the neighborhood and I like to see a small business thrive and flourish. I should also say that my personal bias when traveling is to try to stray just slightly from the mainstream path, and this recommendation reflects that preference. If you really need to be right in the thick of the action, The Kendall will not suit you.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel locations and suggestions

We just returned from a stay at the Lenox in Back Bay. It's a really nice hotel in a wonderful location--just a block from the T and close to Newbury Street. The hotel has an Irish pub, a bar (seems to be a popular place with the 20's-30's crowd), and a nice restaurant. The rooms do have refrigerators with free (seemed to be unlimited!) bottles of water.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel locations and suggestions

"It's true you will find ZERO night life in Kendall Sq."

This is a completely false statement. The Kendall Square area, also known as Area Four, has boomed new restaurants and bars in the last year. And, even before the last year, there were some places around.

EDIT: I do agree that The Kendall is worth looking into.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 17:21
9. Re: Hotel locations and suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:16