We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concord and Plymouth

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Concord and Plymouth

My husband and I are planning on going to see Plymouth Plantation. It will be a day trip from where we're staying in Boston. Is there a feasible way to add in Concord (I want to see Louisa May Alcott's "Orchard House")? We're planning on renting a car and I didn't know if this would be feasible to do. Thanks in advance!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concord and Plymouth

sure, just start your day early. these two places are not on a straight line from boston. It is better done as separate trips but if you are just seeing one place in concord...

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concord and Plymouth

I agree, but would probably start with Plymouth Plantation. One factor to consider will be what day of the week. If you are doing all that driving in the summer on a Friday or Saturday (and probably Sunday too) the traffic will be heavier. Maybe I should reverse what I said above, and suggest you do Concord first, just because (again depending on what day of the week) it might mean you are not going in the direction of the heaviest traffic.

But I agree it is feasible.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concord and Plymouth

I think it would be easiest on a Saturday or Sunday because you won't have to contend with commuter traffic. Concord and Plymouth really aren't particularly near each other, but as children we used to go to Plymouth on school trips from Lincoln (basically Concord), and certainly we managed to go to school in the morning, get on a bus for Plymouth, go there, return to school, and get the school bus home, so I think you could drive to Concord and see whatever that house is you want to check out (check the hours), then drive down to Plymouth for the afternoon, then head back to Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Concord and Plymouth

Ashley L, what time of the year are you coming? I ask, because if it's in the summer, I would probably avoid driving to Pllymouth on a Saturday and Sunday. Until mid-June, the drive should be fine.

I would probably go to Plymouth first, spend the morning, have lunch then drive up to Concord and go straight to Orchard House. Even if later in the day, you can still see the North Bridge, and drive around Concord after the sights have closed.

The reverse trip also works--get to Orchard House early then go straight to Plymouth.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concord and Plymouth

Minute Man Trail nice visit. Alcott House is right along it. But that may make both Plymouth and Concord in one day difficult.

We stayed in Leominster saw the Minute Man Trail and were to Logan by 1PM. We did not visit Plymouth on this trip.

Edited: 26 April 2012, 21:16
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concord and Plymouth

Concord and Plymouth are in opposite directions. I would not ordinarily consider doing both of these in one day, but if you only have the one day, then get an early start. If you are coming during the summer, the Plantation is open until 7 p.m., while Orchard house closes at 4:30, so I'd go to Concord first, then Plymouth.

7. Re: Concord and Plymouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:41