We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South/East Mass.

sussex UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
South/East Mass.

HELP ! Looking for vacation rental for 2013. Spending few days in Boston and then meeting up with family and want property near ocean in either S/E Mass. (near Marion section of coast) or to travel up (by train for us grandparents - by car from New York for rest of family) to another section of coast. Where to start looking for property/agents/information. Started by looking at Maine, nr. Bar Harbor but travel seems too long/expensive.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South/East Mass.

have you looked at vrbo.com or cyberrentals.com. this will at least give you an idea of what is available and costs. I don't think of Marion as being a huge tourist destination but it is very nice and would expect properties to command a fair sum to rent. and closer to ocean, more they cost. not sure when you are traveling since you don't mention that or how big a home.

Bar Harbor is not reachable by train and is 5-6 hours from boston.

Many places along NH coast or southern ME coast.

Not sure why Cape Cod is not an option for you.

I think we need some help also to help you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South/East Mass.

You might want to post this on the Southern New England forum. There will be additional folks familiar with the area you are targeting over there.

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/83

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South/East Mass.

check out the area around Westport, MA and Little Compton Rhode Island.

sussex UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South/East Mass.

Thanks for your useful reply. Sorry not to have given more info. Hope to be travelling in mid-July next year. Party of 6 - us 2 grandparents, with son, daughter-in-law and 2 grand-daughters, who will be aged 9 & 6. They will be coming by car from N.Y. I hope we will be in Boston first for a few days (re-visiting where we were married in Cambridge, 45 years ago!). The idea is then to meet up with the children/grand-kids for a week somewhere - Cape Cod might be an option, but have been put off by all reports of traffic and crowded places. We all like to be slightly away from major tourist resorts. Is this going to be a completely stupid plan? I will investigate what you suggest.

Total cost is certainly a consideration - even tho' it is to celebrate a landmark birthday of my husband's next year.

sussex UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South/East Mass.

Thanks to all for very helpful replies. Will continue to investigate options, following your suggestions.

Marion was an idea because friends of ours owned a house there and told us that there were lots of nice places along that stretch of coast. But I think it may be beyond reach of our price range, unfortunately!

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South/East Mass.

I live two towns over from Marion and there isn't much there. It is exclusive in a lot of places and prices for rentals are a bit more expensive there. It's not a place where I would want to spend a vacation. Take a look at Fairhaven. it's only about ten minutes from Marion. Fairhaven would make a good base for day trips to Plymouth for the Mayflower, a whale watch, or Plymouth Plantation, Cape Cod, Newport RI, Mystic Seaport, Horseneck Beach in Westport, MA. You could also take a Fast Ferry from New Bedford to Martha's Vineyard. You are also close to the traditional ferries of the Steamship Authority out of Woods Hole.

http://www.nefastferry.com/

www.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/index.cfm

There is a Hampton Inn in Fairhaven, and a Fairfield Inn & Suites along the New Bedford waterfront.

Check VRBO for a rental.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South/East Mass.

Westport, Dartmouth, or Buzzards Bay are other places you might consider. I agree with your friend that the south coast of Massachusetts (on the body of water known as Buzzards Bay) is kind of an undiscovered gem. There isn't much to do but relax and go to the beach, but if that's what you want, there are some pretty beaches and shorelines. Also, New Bedford has a whaling museum that is worth a visit if you're in the area.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 21:33
sussex UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South/East Mass.

Thanks for all your help. It is great to have people will local knowledge. Will continue to investigate locations - and try to find somewhere which will have potential for all 3 generations.

9. Re: South/East Mass.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:43