We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston trip October

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Boston trip October

My husband,grown up son and myself are visiting Boston for a few days in October to take in the Patriots game.We are non drivers and plan to visit somewhere in Cape Cod for two nights-where should we stay advice please.I have looked at Hyannis as i think we can get there by coach, as time is restricted where is the best area?

We then plan to go to Salem for one night before returning home,can we see everything in one day?Any advice gratefully received.Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston trip October

Cape Cod is difficult to see without a car. The distances are fairly large, and public transportation is limited. In my opinion, Hyannis is the least attractive part of the Cape. It is the most urban and commercial part of the Cape, and it is frankly rather ugly. If you won't have a car, I would recommend going to Provincetown instead. It is farther from Boston, but it is fun and very walkable. You should know that it is a popular lesbian and gay destination, but October is past the main summer season, and the town also attracts straight couples and families. In the town center, there are lots of things to do: restaurants, art galleries, and so on. However, it isn't a large town, and just a mile or two from the town center are beautiful sand dunes and beaches. The harbor is also picturesque, and you can enjoy it from the wharves in town. (It is an old fishing port, and there are still some fishermen, but it is now mainly a tourist destination.)

As for Salem, yes, you can see all of the main sights in one day. It's easy to get there from Boston by train.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 19:52
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston trip October

Thanks for your reply Mark.

I have looked at Provincetown and wondering about the fast ferry to save time, what is Truro like for a night?

We will definately do Salem-even if we dont stay there-i believe the train is handy!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,713 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston trip October

Provincetown is a good suggestion if you don't have a car. The fast ferry is the way to go to Provincetown, espcially if you don't have a car. It stops running after Oct. 14, so hopefully you are here before that.. Agree, Salem is easy to get to by commuter rail from North Station in Boston and a day there is fine. Here is the train schedule:

www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/…

How do you plan to get to Gillette? It's way out in the suburbs. Your best bet is to take the commuter rail train that the MBTA runs down there only on game days. Note that it leaves shortly after the game ends. If you miss it you are stuck.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 20:43
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston trip October

Thanks for your advice,my husband and son are going to the October7th game,and were planning to use the train-will make sure they catch it after the game-i believe you cant get the train tickets until 2 weeks before the game is that right?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston trip October

A day trip to Salem is fine, but I wouldn't try to spend the night. Just keep your hotel in Boston and return there for the night. Otherwise you'll be lugging bags around quite a bit and will be limited to hotels within walking distance of the Commuter Rail station.

If you are only in town for "a few days", I would skip the Cape entirely. The Cape in the fall doesn't have quite the appeal of summer. It's still interesting, but with limited time it doesn't seem the best choice. Boston is a lovely city to explore and you'll want a few days there.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston trip October

Salem is an easy day trip from Boston. There's no particular need to stay overnight. However, if you choose to do so, you needn't worry about schlepping your bags around. There are usually taxis waiting at the train station (though it wouldn't hurt to ask your hotel for the phone number of a taxi service ahead of time just in case). Also, you should make hotel reservations soon as October is Salem's busy month.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston trip October

Thanks for your advice,we have 4 days in Boston at the start of our holiday,but fancied Salem at the end making it easy for our flight home.

We are reconsidering the Cape and now fancy Plymouth-especially as we can get there by train what do you think?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston trip October

Thanks for your advice,still considering the best options for our stay.We have 4 days in Boston at the start of our holiday,but still fancy Salem and now possibly Plymouth.Think the train is the best option for both places,saving time what do you think?

Belfast, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston trip October

My wife and i will be in Boston at the end of October and also hope to go to the Patriots game. Just wondering where your husband is planning on getting his tickets? I was going to try on Ticketmaster in July when they go on sale?

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston trip October

Nicola K, I'm a little confused by your last 2 posts. Are you now considering going to Plymouth and possibly Cape Cod instead of Salem or in addition to Salem? At any rate, I wanted to comment about placing Salem at the end of the trip for easy access to the airport:

Salem to downtown Boston is easy by commuter rail and Salem to Logan Airport is easy by car, but by Salem to Logan by public transportation is not so easy. You can take the commuter rail back to North Station in Boston and then a taxi or the subway to Logan. You can also take an MBTA bus from Salem to Logan or from Salem to Wonderland station on the T's blue line. These will be rather long journeys on city buses with lots of stops and no place for luggage. It would be much simpler to take a taxi or the T from a Boston hotel. Or, perhaps you were considering a shuttle or limo service from Salem to Logan?