We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York - New England road trip

Romford
5 posts
Save Topic
New York - New England road trip

Hi we are flying from London out to New York City to visit our son for a week and then picking up an RV for two weeks from Linden New Jersey. We are unsure what route to take from there and were thinking of going up towards Litchfield Hills and then maybe across to Boston or up towards Vermont. We have lots of places we want to visit on our itinerary including the White Mountains and Cape Cod. Anybody any suggestions on a good route as the area will be totally new to us. Thank you.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York - New England road trip

Hi- when are you coming? Summer? Fall? That could make a difference in where we suggest that you go.

Romford
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York - New England road trip

We are flying out on the 25th May for one week and pick our RV up on the 1st June for two weeks.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York - New England road trip

I'm not looking at a map right now, but if you would be headed up into central or western Massachusetts, that would be good. Not sure I would head into Boston with an RV! Although you could park it somewhere outside the city, I guess.

But if you look at a map, Cape Cod is way to the east. You could head to Cape Cod from Connecticut/Rhode Island. Then when you want to head to northern New England, skip going directly through Boston (at least, I would probably skip these in the RV). You have lots of choices for getting on the highways west of Boston, that will lead you up to either the White Mountains or into Vermont.

If you are confident drivers, then maybe ignore what I've said about taking the RV through Boston on the highway. Route 93 is the North South highway, and would be one way to get into New Hampshire and the White Mountains.

Also, Western Massachusetts is very beautiful and has lots of history and cultural facilities (esp in the summer). We call that area the Berkshires. You can easily get into Vermont from there.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York - New England road trip

Are you particularly interested in RV camping in campgrounds? It will be a very quiet time of year for campgrounds, especially when it's not a weekend. I'm not certain of the legal specifics, but I believe it is usually illegal to sleep in your RV unless it's at a place designated for such use (such as a Campground). So sleeping in your RV a parking lot or on the side of a road is generally not permitted. This may vary from region to region.

Most Campgrounds are fairly isolated. They may be surrounded by beautiful nature, but they usually aren't walking distance from anything and don't have access to public transportation. Many of the people who enjoy these campgrounds have a car or motorcycle in addition to their RV so they can tour around while leaving the RV behind. You'll have to pack up and drive your RV everywhere, and find a place to park it whenever you want to visit a quaint village, restaurant, etc. The more urban areas will take some special planning to find parking, and you won't be able to sleep in the RV.

You may find that it is more cost effective and affords you more flexibility to rent a car and stay in B&B's, little retro self-catering motel cabins in the mountains, etc.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York - New England road trip

I believe if you are carrying propane (to fuel your stove) then you cannot go through the Boston tunnels.

6. Re: New York - New England road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:17