We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

I just returned from a 5 night trip to Boston to move my daughter home for the summer. I stayed at the Revere, formerly the Radisson. It appears the renovations are 98% done. I was not disturbed by any construction. The hotel turned out very nice. I had stayed when it was the Radisson 2 or 3 times. There is a very nice modern lobby and they were offering a glass of champagne at check in. I asked for a high floor with 2 beds which was granted. Nice and clean modern decor. Comfortable beds and high quality toiletries in fixed dispensers.

We ate at Neptune Oyster House twice at lunch (wait list was closed both nights we tried)with great meals both times, ate at the bar at Union Oyster House (fair), Reginas (great), Legal Seafood lunch and dinner (I always avoided it for smaller places but it was next door to hotel and we were tired) for really solid meals, and Magiannos for 1 dinner (great as usual). Mike's Pastry got 2 visits and we brought a huge box of Cannoli and macaroons home for our men!

Didn't do much sight-seeing except while walking back and forth to North End. We went to King's Chapel and the burial ground which I have not seen on other trips.

Well, I must say that the move out was daunting! 4 suitcases, 2 carry ons, 2-75lb boxes shipped home and 6 in storage at the end! I used a company that picks up and delivers the stored items at the college. I used Lazybones Storage and the young man was on time and very pleasant. To say I was exhausted when I got home was a vast understatement.

My daughter was sad to leave her friends and Boston to come home. I think she will be counting the days until September 1st......

My daughter's suite next semester has a 180 degree view of Boston Commons and the Mass State House...We went up to the windows of her common room to stare!

I will be back to Boston on September 1st to move her back in and we are staying at the Boston Harbor Hotel. I got a good deal and we are excited to try a new place. I will definitely stay at the Revere again though.....

Edited: 05 May 2012, 22:26
Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a great time. I recently went to the union oyster house. This is one of a few places which make me feel like I am visiting Boston.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

Yes, the atmosphere felt very Boston at Union Oyster House, but we ended up having to eat at the bar as the wait was over 2 hours. We didn't get to experience the regular menu. My daughter was hoping to order a whole Maine lobster, but didn't want to eat anything difficult at the bar. We ended up with steamed clams and a crab cake sandwich, so not too much to write home about. Perhaps we will give it another try though!

Thanks again Financialwiz for your advice, and when I posted about my Radisson vouchers for the Revere :)

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

You are welcome. That turned out to be quite the thread.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

osparki, thanks for reporting back. I bet you're glad this move is over for a bit. "See" you in September!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

Sounds like you had a lot to do on this visit. I'm glad your daughter likes Boston and her school. Have a good summer, but remember ... we'll "see" you in September!!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

I can't believe how the year has flown by! Glad to hear things worked out well. Would love an invite to see that view from your daughter's dorm room in September.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,236 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

Glad you had a great visit to Boston and your daughter had a great time in school and you ate at all the places i like myself,i hope you have a great time here in September.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who commented on this thread. You have been very helpful and kind since the "beginning" of our family's Boston college adventures!

See you in September!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,674 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

Thanks for the report. I just got back from an out-of-state college move out, too!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from college move-out 5 day trip

"high quality toiletries in fixed dispensers."

I first encountered these at the Stonington Inn last summer. While this is a bummer for those of us that like the souvenirs, the fact is those "single serving" shampoo, etc, bottles result in soooooooooooo much flat-out waste. Good/sad to see more places doing this.