We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

meals

Yanceyville, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
meals

Have done extensive searches for restaurants. Would like an idea what locals prefer. Will probably do 2 late lunches/or early dinners; some I have considered: Eastern standard; tasty burger, Charlie's Eat and Drink Saloon. Give good burger or sandwich places. Thanks

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: meals

Sam La Grassa's was pretty good for sandwiches - Beantown Pub does a super "Barrister burger" - best I have ever eaten in the States.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: meals

Eastern Standard is a good place, great cocktails there. You will find lots of locals there; if you go on a Red Sox game night, there will be tourists there too. Near ES is Island Creek Oyster Bar, also very popular with locals and they do more than oysters. Charley's is the type of place that I as a local would avoid like the plague, to be honest. I see that as a restaurant for Newbury St tourists who eat there because it is convenient and the food does not need to be good because there are no returning regulars. But, that is just my opinion.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: meals

Many would say part of the Boston expererience is a meal (casual and quick or more formal) in the Italian neighborhood known as the North End. If you are interested, just search the forum for "North End Restaurants" ... lots of good ones, everybody has their favorites and nobody can ever agree. ;)

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: meals

I'm one who thinks Charley's is just fine for a burger or sandwich. Their food is good and, it's consistent. I worked near Back Bay for many years and many "locals" would go there for lunch. I even remember the first Charley's--it was one-of-a-kind in those days and was located on Newbury between Hereford and Mass. Ave. It's fine for what it is.

It's comfortable and has a nice outdoor eating space, weather-permitting.

Sticking to the Newbury St. area, you might also like Sonsie, for good sandwiches. For more burgers, you can check 5 Napkin Burger at the Prudential Center.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: meals

Eastern Standard is an excellent restaurant with great food and top notch service. You should be sure to make reservations, as it is always packed, especially if you are planning to go during a Red Sox home stand.

Tasty Burger is great for good hamburgers and shakes in a fun atmosphere. Again, if the Red Sox are playing, good luck getting near it.

I'd definitely cross Charley's off of your list. It's completely mediocre in every way and not worth it.

If you are in the hunt for a good hamburger, you should go to Harvard Square and try Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage, which is a local institution and has excellent hamburgers.

Another favorite place for me to get a burger is Kingston Station, which is right in the Downtown Crossing area, very convenient to get to. Their food is excellent, and they have a great burger. They also have live music on Friday and Saturday nights.

http://www.kingstonstation.com/

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: meals

Charley's was started and owned by a local. For years it was a place many Bostonians flocked to. Since it was sold, I have not been there but it seems to have lost its appeal.

For a hamburger, champions or the bleacher bar.

If you are in your 30's, Drink and Sportello on congress street in fort point.

Edited: 21 May 2012, 22:16
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: meals

Almost forgot--for sandwiches try the Parish Cafe on Boylston St. (there's another one in the South End as well). http://02a7d0b.netsolhost.com/index2.html

They have sandwiches designed by well-know local chefs so they all have interesting twists to them.

I'm still in search of the perfect burger and no one can agree on the best, but any semi-casual restaurant will have them. They'll range from inexpensive (Tasty Burger) to high end (Back Bay Social Club). Price is not a good indicator on how good the burger will be.

8. Re: meals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 08:41