We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak trip

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak trip

Hi All,

First I want to mention that a couple weeks ago I took Amtrak across country from Boston to Portland, OR and then flew back. What a fun trip it was riding the train vs flying :)!

The scenery between Chicago and Oregon was outstanding, especially in the Dome Car. The meals were great (included 3 a day if traveling 1st class). There was a wine and cheese tasting, movies at night, and a lounge car where you could purchase snacks, sandwiches, or wine and/or beer. I met tons of wonderful people and the ambience was wonderful.

Consequently I'm now planning a trip from Boston to D.C. and then onto Charleston, S.C. via Amtrak. Has anyone taken the Acela to DC? If so does it run straight from Boston to DC or do you have to change trains in NYC? How long does the trip take? What about going on to Charleston. Has anyone done that?

Looking forward to hearing everyones comments and suggestions :).

cozyharbor

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak trip

Hi, cozy -- you'll stay on the same Acella train for the 6-1/2 hour trip down to DC/

But, It might actually be to your advantage (time-wise to get off at NYC where a couple of the trains through the Carolinas originate, rather than try to coordinate your Acella's arrival there with the departure of a South-bound train. This is a time where talking to a real live person at Amtrak's reservations service might end up being easier than trying to do your booking on the web.

Although some people's experiences have not been as positive, I once took Amtrak to Florida & loved it :-)