We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

ontario
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

I have made a reservation for 3 nights in July at Hotel Commonwealth and have now found a great deal for Copley Square Hotel.(will save $70/night) I am hesitant about switching my plans since Commonwealth is ranked #1 but am thinking that the Copley Square is more convenient for sightseeing.

Does anyone have any input? How far at a leisurely pace are the 2 hotels apart? We are planning to go to a baseball game, go to the north end, do the freedom trail and the Boston Commons/park.

We will be driving in but after reading the posts and doing my homework I think we will park the car for the duration.

Thanks to all who have posted for helping me to plan based on your expertise!

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

At a leisurely walk it takes 20 minutes. The commonwealth is a nicer hotel but nothing wrong with the Copley. Nothing wrong with kenmore but I like Copley sq better.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

Is the Copley Square Hotel your only alternative to the Commonwealth? Copley Square is a better location but at the Hotel Commonwealth you're opposite the Kenmore Square subway station which is very convenient for your sightseeing and, of course, you're right around the corner from Fenway Park. There are also a lot of good restaurants near Kenmore.

I guess to save the money, I'd stay at the Copley Square Hotel but as long as you're looking elsewhere, you can probably find other alternatives. All depends what you're looking for in a hotel.

ontario
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

Thanks for the replies!

They both look like nice places, so really now just questioning whether the location is right with choosing the Commonwealth. On the maps it is a bit difficult to judge distance. We have no problem walking when sightseeing, in fact I think that is the only way to really do it, as long as the neighbourhoods are appropriate.

These are not our only alternatives but first chose the Commonwealth based on TA rating and access to Fenway. Then looked at Copley Square for proximity to the other sites. We do like walking in the evening to a restaurant for dinner and then back to the hotel so maybe the Copley area suits this better...need to do more research.

I have until 24 hours prior to check-in to cancel...also money is not a huge factor but the difference would pay for a nice breakfast daily!

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

Every place you mentioned except Fenway is closer to Copley. The walk back to Copley from Fenway is 20 minutes. After the game a walk down Newbury or boylston street is very nice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

You have two wonderful restaurants in the Hotel Commonwealth, Eastern Standard and Island Creek Oyster Bar.

Near Fenway there is a range of eateries, from sports bars (Jerry Remy's), Mexican (La Verdad), barbecue (Sweet Cheeks), etc.

I know it's hard to envision distances from maps. Kenmore Square is not far away from places. It's less then 1.5 miles to the Boston Public Garden, walking straight down Commonwealth Ave., and after it crosses Mass. Ave, a nice walk down the Mall (greenspace) in the center of Comm. Ave.

You won't go wrong with either decision. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

ontario
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

Thank you so much for the feedback!!

Have never been to Boston and it is one of those bucket list things that I have always wanted to do!

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

Have you stayed in a Boston hotel before? Another reason you may want to save the $70.00 per night is, on top of the prices quoted to you, you need to add another $40.00 for taxes per night.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,770 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

The Copley Square was recently renovated into a boutique-type hotel. It is definitely a more central location, but the Commonwealth is certainly doable. The Commonwealth is a very nice hotel, but not sure how it got to be #1 in the entire city.

Don't worry about getting to Fenway from Copley Square. You can walk or take the subway. Why not have dinner before the game at one of the nice restaurants mentioned above? Be sure to make reservations, though.

Definitely leave the car parked for the duration.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

Room tax is not a fixed number. Mass. state and Boston city tax on hotel rooms is 14.45% of the room rate.

Not sure if you're driving. If so, also figure in the cost of parking as well.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel commonwealth vs Copley Square Hotel

Just to add to the buzz here, I'll mention that I was in a room at the Copley Square Hotel that friends of mine had obtained at a discount rate. The hotel is nice and the location is great, but this room was tiny.

Personally, I don't need large rooms and I'm not hard to please when it comes to a hotel, but I think there is a distinct possibility that you would find yourselves in a very small room.