We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlie Weekly Link Pass

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Charlie Weekly Link Pass

Hello, I will be visiting Boston for the first time with my 2 children in 2 weeks time.

We arrive on a Friday night, so would be looking at purchasing the weekly travel pass on the Saturday morning. Is it then valid for 7 days from when you purchase? Can someone please advise me if that is OK, or does a weekly pass run from Monday to Sunday, or Sunday to Saturday?

We'll be in Boston for 3 whole days prior to our tour starting and are thinking that a weekly ticket appears to be good value for getting around for the 3-4 days we'll be on our own. Am I mistaken?

Thanks

Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Tuckamore Aviation
City Tours, Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Boston Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, City Tours
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlie Weekly Link Pass

Hard to know without knowing where you staying and what you plan on doing. The pass timing starts when you purchase.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 03:02
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlie Weekly Link Pass

I think it's somewhat unlikely that a weekly pass will be cost-effective. Obviously, the chances of its being so increase if you're using it for four days rather than three; but in either case, each person would need to take more than two rides per day, on average, for it to be more economical than using a Charlie Card. Beacuse touring in Boston usually ends up involving a lot of walking, that could well be more rides than you would actually need to take. There are lots of variables, and as Alan says, we don't know what the most important ones are.

I think you'd be better off getting a Charlie Card (maybe two if you expect to be splitting up a lot). As you're probably aware, only one person at a time can use the pass, so you'd really need a pass for each person over 12. The Charlie Card can be shared. Even if you ended up spending more by forgoing the passes, it wouldn't be by much.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Charlie Weekly Link Pass

It's hard to know the right answer without knowing where you are staying and what you're planning for activities. How old are your children? If they are young then you'd probably be taking the T more if they get tired of walking.

The general rule of thumb is that you would have to take 9 trips to break even on the weekly pass. Otherwise, as already mentioned, you can put money on a Charlie card (not ticket, which is more expensive per ride). So, three trips a day would be break even, four would make the pass worthwhile.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charlie Weekly Link Pass

Hi, thank you all for your replies so far. My kids are 20 and 15. I'm certain we'll be doing a lot of walking. We're staying in the Back Bay area on Arlington St. From what I've read many of the sights we want to visit are on the T-line and some within walking distance. We also want to take a ferry out to Hingham, probably go out to visit Harvard as well. We have tickets for a Red Sox game.

Any other suggestions for some must see/ do?

Mentioned in this post
Back Bay
Back Bay
431 Reviews
Boston, MA
Hingham
Hingham
Massachusetts
Harvard
Harvard
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Charlie Weekly Link Pass

You're going to find that most things in Boston are within walking distance. You didn;t mention the Freedom Trail or Quincy Market, I would certainly add those to your list. And that visit to Harvard Square and Harvard Yard the kids will certainly enjoy (for that you need to take the subway). Is there a reason you're going to Hingham?

Mentioned in this post
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,292 Reviews
Boston, MA
Quincy Market
Quincy Market
2,844 Reviews
Boston, MA
Hingham
Hingham
Massachusetts
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charlie Weekly Link Pass

Thanks Alanm, yes the Freedom Trail is on our list too. We'll try and fit in the Quincy Market also. Hingham is the location of Wahlburghers, my kids want to visit there.....I think they think they'll be seeing one of the famous brothers!!! Is there anything else in that area to see.? I figure it will be an opportunity to take a ferry ride and see something different.

Mentioned in this post
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,292 Reviews
Boston, MA
Quincy Market
Quincy Market
2,844 Reviews
Boston, MA
Hingham
Hingham
Massachusetts
7. Re: Charlie Weekly Link Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:42