We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC or Boston

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Washington DC or Boston

Hello,

I am flying to Pittsburgh soon and I was thinking of stopping off somewhere on route- I think connections look like either Boston or Washington dc, which one??

I'll probably have a couple of days and would like to see sights as well as a spot of shopping? Also somewhere safe for a single traveller.

Thanks

Quincy Market
Flea & Street Markets
Haymarket
Flea & Street Markets
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Shopping Malls
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC or Boston

Not sure how to answer this. Of course I'm on the Massachusetts board so I think Boston is totally great. It's compact and easy to get around. We have lots of things to do and see, lots of history and a beautiful harbor. But, you don't say what might factor in for you.

D.C. is something I think everyone should visit at least once. it is almost overwhelming how many things there are to see there. The museums (many of them clustered under the "Smithsonian" name) are stupendous. It has a great subway system and the food is very good, I think. It can be very, very hot and humid.

Safe? I think both cities would be similar. You have some risks in any city, but if you stick to the fairly well traveled locations and aren't walking about at midnight by yourself, it should seem fairly safe. No worse than London!

Marblehead...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC or Boston

For a couple of days? I would probably do Boston. Lots to do and great shopping.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,612 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC or Boston

Here's a fairly recent thread on the same subject:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k534194…

Maybe that will help you decide. Of course, I'm biased towards Boston but I do like visiting D.C. Boston is a safe city for travelers and you would definitely find good shopping and touring.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC or Boston

Too hot in DC IMHO this time of year. DC is a great place to go, but when the weather is bearable and when school is session.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,445 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC or Boston

If by "soon" you mean next week then DC may still be a viable option ... but the deeper into summer we get the hotter it is. here's another discussion on the same topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k489189…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC or Boston

You won't be disappointed in either city. From Boston, you can go to the Cape, to Maine, etc. From DC, you have lots of free museums and attractions.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
135 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington DC or Boston

I grew up in Washington, DC and moved to Boston for college 6 years ago. I love both cities! I think there is more to see in Washington, DC but it all depends on what you like to do. I think the shopping in better in Boston. In terms of your safety question, Boston is by far safer than DC (oddly enough. the only "safety" incident I ever had was in Cambridge). However, I think this is irrelevant because you will only be in the safe areas of DC as a tourist anyhow.

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington DC or Boston

Thank you everyone. Think I might go to Boston this time! Hopefully I will get another opportunity later in the year to explore washington dc- with more time! Thanks again!

9. Re: Washington DC or Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 01:17