We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fullerton...
Level Contributor
57 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

I am already very excited to see both the Isabella Steward-Gardner Museum, the Museum of fine art, the Boston public library, the Old South, and First Churches (not religiously just because they may be beautiful). I plan to walk the freedom trail on my own. What other delights of the city should I not miss? I will be there for a week as my husband attends a conference.

Also if there is anywhere to get a good traditional (not frilly) English afternoon tea, (or a pub with a good cucumber and smoked salmon sandwich) that would be lovely.

Many Thanks

I am a lady who has already had plenty of clubs/excitement/shopping to fill a lifetime and so hope when I visit a someplace new to see what is unique about it, rather than what is the same everywhere in the English-speaking world (I dislike national and multinational chains just on general principles). Living in the west I am weary of sports (unless I am playing them) and sick to death of the entertainment industry and everyone in it as it passes for news here to speculate on their personal lives. Additionally I don’t really wish to be sold anything (yes and I watch PBS too).

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

The Park Plaza hotel has afternoon tea. Best to call, I don't think everyday.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

Visit the Boston Athenaeum.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,053 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

You might enjoy the Gibson House on Beacon Street. It is one of the first town homes built there and is a delightful Victorian building.

http://www.thegibsonhouse.org/

Could easily be combined with a visit to the Athenaeum, as mentioned by wpsaukee, above.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,456 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

Check out Trinity Church. Old South is beautifully simple, while Trinity is beautifully ornate. ;) Trinity is an active Episcopal church but it is open to the public for both guided and self-guided tours.

http://www.trinitychurchboston.org/tours.html

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

Take a day trip by commuter rail (or ferry, if you're here in summer) and go to Salem to visit the wonderful Peabody Essex Museum with the couple hundred year old Chinese house shipped from China and rebuilt in the courtyard. The museum also is American and Asian art, as we'll as maritime items, given Salem's nautical history, including a huge exhibit room filled with many different painted figureheads from old ships.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

I'll second the recommendation for the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem. In addition to what BooKat described, the museum includes several historic homes that can be entered on guided tours from the museum. Even if you don't take such a tour, you might enjoy a walk along Chestnut Street to view Salem's beautiful architecture.

www.salemweb.com/guide/tour/attract2.shtml

You might also enjoy the Cape Ann Museum in Gloucester, which is accessible by commuter rail. Primarily an art museum, it has the largest collection of work by Fitz Henry Lane and an interesting exhibit on the block printing done by the Folly Cove Designers; there are also smaller exhibits on the history of the fishing and granite industries on Cape Ann.

www.capeannhistoricalmuseum.org/index.htm

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

Take the Red Line over to Harvard Square and take a walk over to Radcliffe, visit the Schlesinger Library, one of the premier collections of women's history in the country. There is an exhibit on thru September on "Tenacious Women"

…harvard.edu/schlesinger-library/exhibit/ten… Continue on Brattle Street to the Longfellow House:

http://www.nps.gov/long/index.htm

Have a bite to eat at Upstairs on the Square's Monday Club Bar before returing to Boston

http://www.upstairsonthesquare.com/

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

Great suggestions above. Will add Mapparium to the list.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

How refreshing to have someone come to Boston and want to see for what makes this my favorite city. I'm also not a fan of the sports and celebrity culture.

When you arrive at the Gardner Musuem you might want to stop by and put your name on the list for lunch Cafe G. The food is very good and the a break for a meal allows you to digest a bit of what you have seen before you go back for more!

http://www.gardnermuseum.org/visit/cafe

For afternoon tea, I like the Four Seasons, The Taj, Boston Harbor Hotel, or if you are here on a weekend the Fantasy Tea at L'Espalier. The Park Plaza no longer serves afternoon tea.

Most of the locals have given you great tips. I'll second the Athenaeum, Schlesinger, Peabody Essex, Trinity, Gibson House, and Mapparium.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

West Reading...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Authentic Boston experiences for a quite woman on her own

Stroll around the Back Bay, Beacon Hill, the Public Garden and Boston Common. There is plenty to do, see, and discover there.