We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston weekend with a baby

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Boston weekend with a baby

My wife and I are visiting Boston Saturday and Sunday next weekend, and our eight-month-old daughter will be in tow. The only thing definitely on the schedule is a Red Sox game, which is the impetus for our trip, but my wife (and baby, obviously) have never been to the city before, so I want to show her as much as possible. I'm hoping to find out some good tips for navigating around Boston with the baby, and whether some of the more-obvious places we might go (Freedom Trail, Harvard Square, etc.) might be less conducive to a stroller than we might like. Further, any tips for bringing a stroller on the T - and bringing baby to Fenway, where I've never been - are greatly appreciated, and we'll always accept restaurant suggestions (looking primarily for a lunch seafood place, of course, and a dim sum spot for Sunday brunch).

Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston weekend with a baby

Getting around Hanover street in the north end will be a challenge but doable. Pizzeria Regina in the north end does not allow strollers inside.

The daily catch next to the Moakley courthouse has good seafood and a spacious out door seating. It sits on the harbor and along the harbor walk. This is ideal for walking with a stroller.

Level Contributor
1,692 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston weekend with a baby

Don't expect to be able to get a stroller on a Green Line trolley heading to Fenway for the game. It's basically sardines in a can. I would maybe get a cab to drop you off a mile from the park and walk up.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston weekend with a baby

If you want the baby to see as much of Boston as possible, then hold him/her/it at about chest level facing out. Using a stroller will cause severely obstructed views worse than left field in Fenway park due to giants walking in front.

Put the word "stroller" in the search box above for more information about using one in Boston.

Unfortunately, our founding fathers weren't really thinking about kids when they laid out Boston. different times and customs, I guess. I would be nice to bring that fancy stroller with the shock absorbers but probably not doable but getting around is possible. good news- more you have to carry the kid, less time you can shop cause you can't carry everything. unless you put it in the stroller.

there are so many good restaurants, it is a shame to just name to same few (although they are some of my faves also), do look at the reviews here and on yelp and don't be afraid to check out a menu and if it looks good and the room is crowded, there is probably a good reason for that. Have a great time.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,530 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston weekend with a baby

Is your baby used to being carried in a sling or snuggly type thing? if yes, that is probably your best option for the game.

Other than that, when riding the T with the stroller, the best course of action at many stations (ones w/out elevators) is to have one adult carry the baby and the other carried the folded stroller. This is also the easiest way to get onto the older green-line trolleys (even when they aren't crowded) The newer green line trolleys have a small step up, so you might be able to leave your little one in the carriage for those. On the red, blue and orange lines, the trains are even with the platform, so you can wheel the carriage onto the train when it's not overly crowded.

Have fun!!!

5. Re: Boston weekend with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:16