We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October in New England

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
27 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
October in New England

I am flying into Boston but want to move on.

Reading everyone's suggestions of Gloucester, Rockport, Ipswich, Reading and also south to Duxbury, Hull, Cohasset.. I will be in the area with car, for 5 days. I am solo, with camera. Not interested in city, crowds, high end hotels.

More interested in scenic towns, villages, good food.

Which would be more photography friendly, points south of Boston or points north of Boston along the water.

All suggestions would be appreciated.

L.

Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Ipswich
Ipswich
Massachusetts
Duxbury
Duxbury
Massachusetts
Hull
Hull
Massachusetts
Cohasset
Cohasset
Massachusetts
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
590 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,054 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
462 Reviews
from US$55.65*
1. Re: October in New England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 June 2012, 01:47
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October in New England

Reading?!?! I don't know what you'll find in Reading that is of interest. All of theo hter areas you mentioned are coastal areas both north and south of the city.

Also, your title says "New England" but your ideas are all in eastern Massachusetts. What is the objective of your trip. What are you hoping to see?

Since October is prime 'leaf-peaping' season, you may want to consider inland venues. If you are here early in the month, you could head north to the White mountains in New Hampshire ,,, a couple of areas of interest there might be the Kancamagus highway, the town of Jackson, the "Flume" in the state forest.

If you are here later in the month then consider going slightly west to Lexington and Concord, and Wachusett Mountain.

Lodging in New England can be expsensive in October. What is your your lodging budget.

PS ... the deleted post was mine. i made too many typos to correct it.

Edited: 14 June 2012, 01:49
Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Lexington
Lexington
Massachusetts
Concord
Concord
Massachusetts
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October in New England

Reading Reading, I chuckled, too! I suspect it's a typo because I doubt it was among "everyone's suggestions" -- for that matter, I can't imagine anyone suggested it. ;-) Not coastal either. However, Reading does have a very nice, traditional New England common.

LynneDear, it sounds like you want to stay along the coast. The towns north of Boston offer lots of different coastal scenery (rocky points, wide expanses of beach, marshes, rivers, harbors, and more) and plenty of good food. From this area, day (or overnight) trips along the NH and Maine coasts are possible as well.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
27 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October in New England

I was raised in CT. I have never been along the coast of MA.

I have traveled extensively along Route 7 through MA into VT..

Have done the countryside.

Looking at coastal villages.

So north would be more advantageous for me.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I'll be in MA Oct 20th.. 5 days.

Living in Nashville now.. dying for some ocean!!

L.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October in New England

With 5 days you'll have lots of time to explore. There are some touristy areas--you needn't avoid them--but you can easily get away to the small towns. Gloucester, which is a small city, is quite diverse and has "villages," such as Annisquam, that are worth a look.

I'd suggest making reservations soon as October is a busy time. Also Salem's month-long Haunted Happenings celebration brings lots of visitors to the area and may limit the availability of hotels toward the north, too.

Hope you get plenty of ocean time and enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Marblehead...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: October in New England

If you like the coast then north of the city gives you a lot of options. You can really go all the way up to the coast of Maine. If you drive the coast road, you will see plenty of opportunities to put your camera to use.

In addition to all the great suggestions by Rte128, I would add that if you are a photography buff, be sure to visit Essex and Rockport. I am a photography buff and these towns are two of my favorite places to experiment.

Rte128 is right about booking early in the Salem Marblehead area. If you can't get something, then look at staying in Newburyport. That will give you a central base for traveling south to Ipswich, Rockport, Gloucester, etc and then north to NH and Maine.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Essex
Essex
England, UK
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Ipswich
Ipswich
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October in New England

Also, let's not forget the Topsfield Fair ... that also takes up hotel rooms. This year it is Sept 28th - Oct 8th.

Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October in New England

Lynne, please do not concern yourself with the Topsfield Fair. It will be long gone by the time you arrive.

While hotel rooms could be hard to come by in Salem,Marblehead,Peabody,Danvers, they will be plentiful in along the coast in the other cities and towns mentioned.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
27 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: October in New England

I had the most wonderful trip of a lifetime.. The weather was absolutely perfect. I wore short sleeves, most of the trip through Maine.

I began at the Logan Airport with a rental car..

Drove 800 miles along the coast of Maine, hugging the coast, every nook and cranny... every island from York to Belfast.

Biggest surprise: Belfast, ME... cute town, calm people, very picturesque, everything was open..

I had lousy chowder at the Front Street Pub.. Hopefully, they corrected it.. Way too salty.

Biggest disappointment: Boothbay Harbor.. I was sooo surprised at the tons of tourists, milling about, hungry, looking for food, wanting to spend a little money..

I saw one restaurant open, fine dining... Thistle Inn, I believe it was.. No seats available.. (no wonder.. only 3 restaurants open after Columbus Day)

I was very disappointed that nothing was open. I couldn't buy any gifts, had to settle for mundane, bland food at Tugboat Inn restaurant... (I don't recommend, if you're hungry for good seafood)...

My room at the Tugboat Inn was phenomenal. I was right on a dock. Use your AAA discount for a good deal.

I had hoped that a store or two was open, but there was nothing... Odd to see so many tourists walking around hungry, dying to spend some money and no one was open..

They must have made a killing during season to close like that when all the rest of us travelers want to walk around and spend some money...

I met couples from Wisconsin, Nova Scotia, me, Maryland, Ireland... All of us hungry... with money to spend and this town closed up...

Don't go to BoothBay Harbor after season.. But then, who wants to be in a heavily crowded area on their vacation? Many of us love to travel, after season, with our money.

Portland was gorgeous, people were friendly everything was open.

Freeport was great for gifts, eating... Best lobster stew I had was at the Freeport Chowder House.. Tom makes all the food and his lobster stew was the best I tasted in all the places I went... The Best!!!

All the little villages going north from Portland, through Camden, Newcastle, Bath.... they were all adorable..

I loved Bath... loved the 5 islands, loved the people and the shops.. I found some great shopping that wasn't ridiculously expensive in Bath.

Camden.... the Towne Motel was the best deal in town for sleeping.. Economical, clean, the owners were very pleasant and personable.

Food and gifts were really, really expensive in Camden..

All in all, do your research. There are some great places to stay and eat that aren't ridiculously expensive... Get some Christmas shopping done in Belfast and Bath..

And let me not forget Brunswick.. The Brunswick Diner was by far the best place in Maine to eat a lot of food, not expensive, all homemade... and they had the best tasting coffee I had on the whole trip!!!!

I loved Maine.. October is an awesome time to drive, take photographs, talk to the lobster men... the dock masters, learn about their lifestyles.. The foliage was gorgeous and full on...

I met so many awesome Mainers... I would do this trip again in a heartbeat, but would avoid places like BoothBay Harbor, Gloucester Mass, Rockport,

Mass --- only because of lack of anything open, or parking is a (YOU KNOW WHAT).. and I found Gloucester to be really, really expensive..

Portland is truly the gem of Maine..

Someday, I will go farther north of Belfast into Nova Scotia, when I have more time.. and I will do it again in October when the weather is absolutely perfect and there are less people in all the towns...

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: October in New England

The thing is that most tourists in New England in October are looking for foliage, and most foliage isn't near the ocean. Hence, you'll find lots of tourist shops and restaurants along the coast, even in New Hampshire, either closed altogether, or only open on weekends after Labor Day weekend.

Glad you had a good trip. Come back soon!

Mentioned in this post
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States