We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

Aberdeen, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

Hi, my daughter and I are coming to Boston on 20/6/12 for 5 days, it will be her 21st while there and I'm looking for some good/nice places to go for drinks/cocktails to celebrate. Also any sort of cupcake or cakes shops/restaurants recommendations ? thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

You'll have to be much more explicit in what you are looking for. There are literally thousands of places for drinks and cocktails.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

There is s cupcake truck which travels around.

http://www.cupcakory.com/

The bakeries in Boston are great. I think there is a bakery at the beginning of Salem street which does cupcakes. Mikes pastry does a good job. These are in the north end.

For drinks maybe the intercontinental hotel. Parker house, top of the hub, four seasons, the taj bar.

Edited: 17 June 2012, 15:55
Boston
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

Nice places for a celebration drink include The Hawthorne at the Hotel Commonwealth, Drink, the bar at Clio, Top of the Hub, the Bristol Lounge, the Oak Room and the Alibi. For a more casual time, you could try The Gallows, JM Curley's, Toro, Sam's, Towne, Eastern Standard or Island Creek Oyster Bar. Cupcakes can be found at Sweet, Crumbs, Cakeology, or Georgetown Cupcakes, but also at any North End bakery.

Aberdeen, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

Thanks for the replies. Just looking for a few ideas on places that are sort of trendy and glamorous that 21 year old would like but also somewhere I can have a seat that's not really loud and busy! I thought some of the hotels might be the places to try and that people on here would know of the more friendly places. Top of the Hub looks nice, maybe for brunch too.

Are there dress codes for the bars in hotels like the four seasons and taj bar or are casual clothes ok?

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

Smart casual will get you in anywhere. During the day almost anything goes.

Also google the liberty hotel.

http://www.kickasscupcakes.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

Re: dress codes, there certainly was one at the Oak Bar (my husband could not get in wearing shorts and Tevas) a couple of years ago. I think the Oak Bar may be closed for renovations. I love hotel bars but wonder if some of them will seem too stuffy and old for a 21 year old. I would skip Bristol Lounge and the Taj -- definitely a little bit old. Liberty Hotel is different, it is trendy. That might seem like a "special" place to get your first (?!?!) drink. The South End (not same as South Boston) also has quite a few young and trendy bars - restaurants. Someone mentioned Gaslight, which is considered cool, but probably not that easy to get to except by cab. Eastern Standard is a favorite of mine - it is known for cocktails and also has a French Brasserie type of menu. It might appeal to both young and old. It is mobbed on home baseball game days, so keep the Red Sox schedule in mind. There is a bar called "Drink" which is also uber-cocktail and trendy, over in the Seaport - Fort Point Channel area. I've never been there. Oh, and there is a bar at the Millenium Hotel that I believe has a huge outdoor terrace kind of facing Boston Harbor or the Channel.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

I guess it depended on who was working the oak room. I used to see people wearing baseball caps there.

I suggested to have a drink at the Bristol and taj, not to spend the evening. The Bristol lounge is in the four seasons. The age range is from 1 day old to 100 years of age.

The taj is the original ritz. The cafe deserves at least a walk by and even a look in from the lobby.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

The mellinium hotel is the old Bostonian. It is across from Faneuil hall next to haymarket. There is no view of Boston Harbor or the channel. Your description fits the intercontinental.

Drink is downstairs from sportellos. Trendy but loud and a pick up joint. Average age under 30

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
592 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

I would recommend Finale's at 1 Columbus Ave. in Boston for sweets and champagne. A unique dessert experience with dessert wines to go with them. Yummy....

10. Re: 21st Birthday, ideas for places to go for Cocktails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:42