We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA Tour Coast - Coast

UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
USA Tour Coast - Coast

Hi All!

Ive posted here before with my plan but only three weeks to go now and im a bit nervous so need some advise.

I am travelling from Boston (2nts) to Seattle (1nt),

via,

New york (2nts)

washington dc (1nt)

Orlando (3nts)

Dallas (1nt)

Phenonix (1nt)

Las Vegas (2nts)

Los Angeles (2nts)

San fransico (1nt)

gonna be a long long long journey and i am using a Greyhound ameri-pass (cheap)

I have hotels booked in every city so thats no a problem but just wanted some feedback, i know im taking on a lot but im youngish and going with my friend so wont be along!

any advise or things to DEFO see (other than the useuall) would be great.

Thanks!

New England
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: USA Tour Coast - Coast

I have been all over the country.. and if I were you, I would do this:

2 nights in Boston

2 nights in NYC

1 night in Wash D.C.

2 nights in Orlando

2 Nights New Orleans

1 Night Dallas

1 Night Phoenix

1 Night Las Vegas

2 Nights Los Angeles

2 Nights San Francisco

1 Night Seattle

You are going to have so much fun!!!!!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,150 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA Tour Coast - Coast

Yes, it is a long journey! In fact, you will be spend an awful lot of time on the bus. It will take longer to get from place to place on the bus than it would be if you were driving since the bus won't be non-stop. How many days in all will your trip be? Perhaps, since you are relying on the bus, you should have a less ambitious itinerary.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA Tour Coast - Coast

Wow! This sounds like a fun trip where you'll get a little taste of each city :). Plus you'll get to see alot of the U.S. and all it's changing landscape along the way. Hope you'll post afterward and let us know how it went!

I just returned from a coast to coast train/car trip from Boston to Portland, Oregon myself. Plus in January, I drove from Maine to Asheville, N.C. and back and here's what I learned (had a blast btw during both trips!).

Pack as light as you can. Nothing worse than schlepping too much luggage around. Backpacks work great as they free your hands. Also many motels/hotels have washer/dryers or even offer laundry service, which will cut down on the amount of clothes you'll need to pack. You could check your various accomodations before you leave to get an idea what the scoop is and pack accordingly.

Also think of bringing a travel journal and a small digital camera to help capture wonderful moments in time via notes and pictures.

Before you leave, try and search the net to learn where the local cyber cafe's are, which will be a good way to keep in touch with the world. Plus you'll be able to check tripadvisor and similar sites if you have any specific questions re: sites to see, etc.

Regarding money and credit cards. It's a good idea to keep them in 2 separate areas i.e. a wallet and maybe a pants pocket or tucked away in socks or shoes. Not to sound overly paranoid but when in large cities, I always do this in case I get pick-pocketed. This way I have emergency cash and a credit card if someone walks away with my wallet.

Lastly, and maybe you've already thought of this, bring a map to follow and chart your trip. Then make notes on the map or in your travel journal about particular areas that interest you or that you might want to visit again, for a longer period of time.

Last but not least, don't forget the cell phone charger if you're bringing one. And also make sure your favorite numbers are programmed into your phone. Nothing worse then wanting to call a friend or family member and you don't have the number and its unpublished.

Once you're off and running and arrive in each city, try to take one of their local trolley tours if they offer them (again something to research on the net before the trip) - Old Town is one of my favorites and are offered in alot of cities.

These tours are wonderful as they give you an overall view of the city and lay of the land, supply lots of info and local color insights, let you get on/off anytime, and give you an idea on what areas or places you might want to further explore. These tours usually last anywhere between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours and are well worth the time and money.

Here's a tip about finding the best places to eat. Ask a few local shop owners. They'll know the best places and not just give you the names of places listed in guide books. Nothing like local knowledge!

Hope what I posted helps and hasn't been stuff you've already thought of! Meanwhile good luck and have a blast. I just know you're going to have a wonderful time :).

cozyharbor

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
182 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA Tour Coast - Coast

What I would personally not like about your trip is how long you'll be spending on the bus. You'll be spending more time on the bus than you'll be spending in any of your destinations. Some of the distances you have are very, very long. It looks like Washington to Orlando is 20 hours, Orlando to Dallas is 28 hours, etc.

If you really like the bus, then that sounds great. Some of the trip will probably be very scenic. I personally don't like being on the bus that long so I would look into flying to some of your destinations and maybe eliminating some of them all together. You should look into whether you can get cheap airfare to some of your destinations. I think you can get a one way ticket from DC to Florida for around $80 and save yourself a day on the bus.

If it were my trip, I would skip Orlando all togehter. Not because it isn't nice, but because it's going to be hard to get to in light of everywhere else you're going. If you're going for the theme parks, I would consider going to the theme parks on the west coast instead. I would also skip Dallas for the same reason. I would instead look into flying from DC to Las Vegas. You can usually find cheap one way flights to Las Vegas -- definitely less than $200, probably closer to or less than $150. Check out jetblue.com for good fares in addition to sites like expedia.com The I would pick up the bus tour from there. It would save you about 3 to 4 days on the bus and allow you to spend more time in your destinations. With the extra time I would consider adding San Diego to your itinerary.

Sounds like you'll have a great time whatever you decide. Enjoy your trip.