We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying into mht

woodlandstx
Level Contributor
221 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
flying into mht

We are flying into MHT to get to Boston for Thanksgiving. Never been to New England,and wondered if y'all could suggest any quaint towns or sights to see on the way in, or not to far a drive away. We land around noon, and could spend the afternoon driving around before settling in Boston itself Sunday night. Thanks for any help.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying into mht

Some ideas that come to me:

Portsmouth, NH (continue via the coast from there; don't miss adjacent New Castle)

Newburyport, MA

Salem, MA

Lexington/Concord, MA

Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying into mht

I agree. Head over to Portsmouth then make your way down the coast. Lots of spots with nice scenery and all very accessible to the interstate once you are ready to head into Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying into mht

MHT to Boston is about ~50 miles and without traffic it is a 1hr drive straight on I-93 South.

Without taking much diversion -

* If travel party is just Adults then - Anheuser-Busch Brewery in Merrimack, NH. You can take a brewery tour.

* Andover, MA - There is a small town center with nice restaurants & coffee shop. You can also check out the grounds of Philps Academy.

wpsaukee has mentioned some great places, but you have to take a different route other than I-93.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying into mht

I thought of the same places as wpsaukee and SilverDragonFly and would add Marblehead, which is near Salem, to the list. Though you should have ample time for any of the above, RelaxByTravel makes a good point that these suggestions all take you some distance off the most direct route between Manchester and Boston. I like his idea of Andover; note also that Philips Academy has an art museum. From there, you could get back on I-93, or--now I'm going to take you on a detour--take Route 133 toward Georgetown, a pretty ride. Depending on the time, you could then get on I-95 south or continue on Rt. 133 to Ipswich and then take Route 1A south through Hamilton and Wenham, an even prettier ride that takes you through lovely New England towns. From there pick up Route 128 south to Route 1 into Boston.

5. Re: flying into mht

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 08:42