We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

Hi, I'm going to be in Boston for about a week in late August. I'm looking for some good ideas for places to visit during the day and bars for the night. I'm pretty interested in having a good look around the city, and checking out some of the scenery/history as that's what's drawn me here a bit. I don't mind going to the touristy bars to much, but I'd like to try and find a more local feeling pub. Club ideas are welcome but pubs are better. Budget isn't a huge factor as I've been saving for this trip. Cheers in advance.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

There was a recent thread on craft beers and most of those places are out of the "tourist" route and the ones in Cambridge and Brookline and Allston are easily accessible on the subway (T).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k532690…

You can take a harbor cruise, walk the Freedom Trail, and take a tour of Fenway Park, if you have any interest in American baseball. Wander about in the different neighborhoods--Back Bay, Beacon Hill, the North End, and the South End. Boston is compact and most of the center is walkable.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

What hotel are you in?

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

Head out to Allston if you want to see the local places and be with people around your own age group. Sunset Grill on Brighton Ave. has a fantastic selection of beer from around the world. If you take the Green Line to Harvard Avenue and just walk up Harvard towards Brighton Ave, the street is lined with pubs, ethnic restaurants, etc.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

Cheers guys. This all sounds pretty good, It's good to have some local knowledge on side. I'll be spending my first couple of nights in the downtown area sort of near Faneuil Hall. Just so I can find my feet and because it looks pretty central. After that I haven't really decided yet, I was thinking Back Bay.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,500 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

Boston is pretty small. There really is no need to switch your hotel unless you are just looking for variety. For example, you can walk from Fanuiel Hall to the middle of Back Bay in about a half hour. Also, subway is easy to use.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

I agree with not having to switch your hotel. For cheep beer near your hotel, try The Tap. They always have two dollar Molsons. However, in that area there aren't really "local" bars since it is a very touristy area. As Cabinet said, you can just walk to Back Bay or hop on the T. An easy walk would be to Stoddard's in the Park Street area.

Boston
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

You might like JM Curley's on Temple Place in Downtown Crossing.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
135 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

Kamellbos - funny that you recommended JM Curley's. I am was going to say Stoddard's or JM curley's but some reason only wrote Stoddard's!

OP - Stoddard's and JM Curley's are right across the street from one another so you could check them both out. JM Curley's has different popcorn specials every day which go fabulously with their yummy beer.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. The reason I was thinking of swapping location is to go to a backpackers or similar so I can find some people to hang out with as i'll be going solo. I'm even thinking about giving couch surfing a try on this trip. Maybe while I'm in Boston or maybe a bit further down the road, just to meet some new people.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,253 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best attractions and bars for mid 20's aussie male.

In that case take a look at the new Boston hostel which just opened in the last couple of weeks. http://bostonhostel.org/

It's centrally located between Back Bay and the waterfront.