We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new england tour

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
new england tour

my friend and i fly into boston for a 9 day vacation june 27 - july 5. we are renting a car. is it feasible to drive up the coast to bar harbor/acadia and then back to boston through NH/ vermont? we want to end our trip in boston july 3-5 and do the boston stuff at the end of our trip. we are looking for outdoorsy adventures - hiking, biking, swimming, etc. also are the whale watching excursions good?

Boston...
Level Contributor
867 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new england tour

Boston - Acadia - White Mountains(NH) might be doable but Vermont might be a stretch.

Boston to Acadia is approx 5-6hrs(with no traffic). I am going to give you a rough sketch of places you might be interested and depending on time & interest you can pick your spots -

The Loop -

-------------

Boston - Southern Maine - Mid Coast Maine - Acadia - Portland - White Mountains - Boston

Assuming you are arriving early on June 27 -

Suggestion -

----------------

* Drive from Boston Airport to Southern Maine towns of York, Ogunquit, Wells or Kennebunkport. Check out the area, swim in warmer Maine waters & overnight in one of the towns.

* Drive from Southern Maine to Mid Coast towns of Rockland, Rockport & Camden. If you really like to explore & hike then stay overnight else continue and end the night in Bar Harbor.

* Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park.. Since you want to be adventurous spend 2 nights here & do hiking, biking, whale watching etc.

* Acadia to Portland, ME - Explore and spend the night in a city after all your adventurous hikes in Acadia etc.

* Portland to White Mountains towns of Conway or N.Conway. Explore & spend 1 or 2 nights here. You can hike the trails, go up Mt. Washington etc.

* Drive through Kancamagus highway & end the day in Boston.

NOTE -

* Suggestion involves driving & sightseeing same day. Depending on your travel type it might be totally tiring or enjoyable.

* Doing the complete loop will involve you to spend only a night in each area if you want to wrap things by July 3.

* You are planning your trip during the peak holiday season. Finding a likable cost effective(??) accommodation might be a big problem.

This is just a start, I am sure experts will jump in & give you more suggestions.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,366 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new england tour

Good advise from RelaxByTravel. VT is do-able if you are really into driving vs spending more time enjoying what each place has to offer. It's really a matter of preference.

Boston is a prime destination for 4th of July festivities. Expect high hotel prices in town (but it's a great time to be there!). You can return your car as soon as you get back to Boston.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new england tour

Actually, Boston hotel prices aren't all that outrageous because there's very little business travel/convention activitiy that week.

The Omni sale the BeantownMan posted about does not exclude July 4th. That's a good location.

Last Minute Travel has some viable options for the 3rd-5th for under $200. Most of the Back Bay hotels on LMT are "on request", most likely because they are closest to the Esplanade. That said, the 4* Back Bay Hotel for $161 is the Colonnade and it's available. It even has a rooftop pool, but for that rate, you only get one bed are you wlling to share?

All the truly 'downtown' hotels are within a subway ride of a stop that's within walking distance of the Esplanade. (I put "downtown" in quotes because a couple of the hotels that LMT lists as "downtown" would not be considered downtown by most Bostonians -- if the rate is REALLY low -- say under $125 at this time of year, it's probably not conveniently located).

If you are interested in more LMT hotel IDs, let us know.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new england tour

wow! thanks everyone! very helpful

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new england tour

Would it be better to stay outside of Boston proper for the 3rd-5th and take the train/subway into town for the 4th?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: new england tour

No. It's much better to already be here!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,113 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new england tour

Vermont is by no means a stretch. The distances are not great and can be easily covered with modern modes of transportation such as gasoline-powered automobiles.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new england tour

On Hotwire there is a 3 star hotel advertised for Brookline- Harvard- Newton area for $69. Is that a good area,close to downtown?

9. Re: new england tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 June 2012, 19:05
Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new england tour

I read and reread your community posting guidelines and am totally at a loss as to why my post was deemed inappropriate or offensive. If you follow the thread of the conversation, my last question was only related to the location of an area and its closeness in proximity to a city. Was it because I mentioned the business Hotwire??? Again, am totally at a loss. Read all your questions and could honestly answer in a positive way to all of them.