We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at Quincy Adams Station

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Parking at Quincy Adams Station

We will be in the area for the first time in October as a part of a 10 day New England road trip . We plan to stay south of town and drive to a subway station with parking for the day, which will be on a Friday.

It appears that the Quincy Adams station on the Red Line is closest to our hotel. According to MBTA, there are 3 more on the red line closer (Quincy Corner, Wollaston and North Quincy) with several spaces and avg availablity anywhere from <1%-51%, and Braintree further out with <1% avg availability. Quincy Adams seemed to have the largest number of spaces (2538) and easy in and out from a major road.

My question is to anyone familiar with these stations: 1) How early would we need to get there to be sure to get a spot and what time does rush hour begin and end in general?

Does this seem like a good idea? My husband does not want to drive into the city. Sometimes looking at maps from 1200 miles away of a place you have never been does not always produce the best plan.

Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at Quincy Adams Station

The Quincy Adams station has the most parking, by far. Quincy Center would be next. I actually drive to the Wollaston station, and that is usually filled by 8:30-9am. However, in the summertime, it'll probably fill a bit later. I'm not sure what time the Quincy Adams or Quincy Center stations fill up.

The trains can be very busy from 7-9am, and 430-630pm, however, it's a fairly short ride, so even if it's packed, it's not that bad.

Driving into the city during rush hour, from Quincy, will take you anywhere between 30-60minutes, depending on traffic, and your exact destination.

Another option would be to drive into the city, park all day in one place, and take the T around (or walk preferably). Most parking garages will run you $25-35 for the day, depending if you get there early enough for a special.

Mentioned in this post
Quincy
Quincy
Massachusetts
Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at Quincy Adams Station

Are you staying at a hotel?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at Quincy Adams Station

Bchristo: Thanks for the reply. The plan was to be there around 7:00-7:30am anyway, so we should be ok.

financialwiz: We are staying at the Hampton Inn Norwood, which looks to be about 12-13 miles from the Quincy Adams Station.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking at Quincy Adams Station

The commuter rail leaves from two locations in Norwood. I think the Hampton inn may have a shuttle to take you there. If not there is parking and there is always availability.

Mbta.com

Mentioned in this post
Norwood
Norwood
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking at Quincy Adams Station

Much better off using the commuter rail from the Norwood area. The red line is horrible during rush hours; people jammed in there like sardines. Commuter rail from Norwood (or even Mansfield, which has more trains) gives you the option of getting off at either Back Bay or South Station, which is a plus.

You'd be sitting in crazy traffic driving from Norwood to Quincy Adams at rush hour too.

Mentioned in this post
Norwood
Norwood
Massachusetts
Mansfield
Mansfield
Massachusetts
Back Bay
Back Bay
430 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,771 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking at Quincy Adams Station

Whatever you decide, do check the commuter rail schedule. Trains, especially suburban trains, are geared to commuters and run on a fixed schedule, running fewer trains on weekends. They also cost more.

The Red Line runs often, and you don't have to worry about a schedule, unless you're out late.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking at Quincy Adams Station

Wow! Thanks for the replies. This why I love TA locals. Did not know to look into a commuter train from Norwood or Mansfield. I was only looking at the subways. I will rework my plans and be sure to look at the schedules.

Does the commuter trains and subways all use the same Charlie Cards? We will be in Salem later in the week and using the commuter train there also, so I may be better off getting a week pass instead of day passes. I'm not sure what the different zones mean, if anyone could explain, it would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Norwood
Norwood
Massachusetts
Mansfield
Mansfield
Massachusetts
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking at Quincy Adams Station

I don't think diva meant driving to Mansfield but looking for a train in that direction. A train to Mansfield will stop at canton junction and sharon, both which are close to Norwood and that line does run on Sunday.

Mbta.com

Not sure about the Charlie card

@mbtaGM

@mbcr_info

Mentioned in this post
Mansfield
Mansfield
Massachusetts
Norwood
Norwood
Massachusetts
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking at Quincy Adams Station

Charlie Cards are not accepted on the commuter rail lines. Your only fare options are single tickets or 10-ride tickets. See http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/rail/.

A commuter rail station's zone is just an indicator of its relative distance from Boston, and tickets are priced accordingly. The higher the zone number, the farther away the station and the more expensive the fare. See http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/rail/.

Do make every effort to buy your tickets before you board the train. In many cases, there's a non-trivial surcharge if you buy your ticket from the conductor.

Finally, just to make sure you're aware, trains from the south terminate at South Station. For Salem, you'll have to go to North Station.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 21:23
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking at Quincy Adams Station

Sorry, both of my links are the same. The second should be mbta.com/fares_and_passes/…

Edited: 27 June 2012, 21:25