We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston hotels

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Boston hotels

Visiting boston for 1st time for 2 nights on a weekend. Want a reasonable hotel convenient for wlking to alot of sites. Recommend? What about the Taj, it seems convenient?

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston hotels

Taj is a fantastic location, but I think you have a different definition of "reasonable" than most people!

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston hotels

Across the street from the public garden at the beginning of Newbury. Nice hotel, great location.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston hotels

If your budget extends to the Taj, there are dozens of hotels that would work for you. I'm sure, without having stayed there, that the Taj is more than fine.

Speaking of hotels I know from personal experience, I'll start with the Boston Harbor Hotel, which ike the Taj is high-end and expensive, and really nice. Far less expensive, and boutique-y, very nice, is the Nine Zero. There are several hotels in Copley Square, which is a very desirable location. The Langham is very good.

More a B&B than a hotel, and a treat for my money, is the Charles Street Inn.

Basically, anything between Copley Square and the harbor is convenient for walking to popular attractions. If you're not working hard to find budget accommodations, you're not going to find yourself in a substandard hotel.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 21:11
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston hotels

Hotel prices fluctuate by date. If it's a time without major demands (such as big conferences or events), many good hotels go on sale.

LastMinuteTravel.com has a number of good Boston hotels that are easily identified by their photos and details. The ones in Back Bay are all in a convenient location. The listings elsewhere in the city are mixed - some being very convenient and some not. In times of highest demand, the site isn't as useful as it is during lower demand times.

If you give us your exact dates, forum members can help make suggestions. Providing a target budget is also useful. Will it be just 1 or 2 in the room, sharing a bed?

Boston
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston hotels

The Taj is very nice. It used to be the Ritz. Now there is a "new" Ritz.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston hotels

2 in room, prefer King mid to end July fri and sat, prefer not to pay taj rates but i heard it's the "most" affordable of that type of hotel but certainly open to suggestions, clean, convenient parking and breakfast a plus.

traveling with wife.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston hotels

mid july 2 in room, myself and wife, plan to park car for 2 days, walk and use public trans. Prefer not to get ripped off but would like a nice hotel convenient to setting about. Parking a breakfast a plus.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston hotels

I don't know what you are looking for. If you want a 4+ star downtown experience with excellent service with free parking for the price of a Rte 1 "no-tell Motel" I can tell you with utmost certainty that it doesn't exist.

If you want the Taj or the Ritz .... well you'll probably get better rates in July than in October but they'll be higher than lesser-rated hotels at the same time. Only you know what you consider 'reasonable' vs getting 'ripped off'.

All hotels provide parking, none of the downtown hotels give you FREE parking. The Boston Common Garage is $11/day on weekends. Most Boston hotels do not include breakfast in their rates.

You'll get the best responses if you can give us specifics and not use generic terms like "reasonable" or "ripped off". Something like "I'm looking for a 4 - 4.5 star hotel for no more than $375/per night including taxes and parking."

Have you checked hotels.com or other booking sites?

Edited: 27 June 2012, 21:56
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston hotels

Consider $200 reasonable.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston hotels

Seriously? $200/night and you're talking the Taj?!?! You probably need to raise your budget or lower your expectations.

You still haven't told us your dates --- we aren't asking to be nosey, but seriously, it matters. Hotel prices vary from night to night by what's going on. Earlier this month there was a huge convention that put even modest hotels over $300/night, but the day after the convention ended, better hotels were available for under $200 a night.

You might be able to get the Omni Parker house at their summer sale rate of $169. After adding tax that comes to about $194/night and you could self-park at the Boston Common Garage -- it's about a 8-10 minute walk from the Parker House.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k552169…

http://www.mccahome.com/bcg_rat.html

Last Minute travel is a 'secret hotel' website, but many properties are easily identified by the photos. Randomly choosing dates for you ... arrive on Friday July 27th and check out on Monday the 30th (staying 3 nights) for 2 adults I see these options (prices do not include taxes or parking):

4* Back Bay Hotel for $271/night is the Copley Square hotel. It is listed as "on request" which means you can try to book it, and they'll let you know within 48 hours if you got it. (It it's listed as 'available', then there's no waiting period.)

3.5* Back Bay Hotel for $147 is the Mariott Copley place. The room available for $147 is 'on request' but the $167 room is available.

4* Quincy/Financial/Waterfront/Boston (have no idea why the put Quincy with this location) for $160 is the Westin Waterfront in the Seaport Distrcit.

4* Back Bay for $154 is the Hilton Back Bay

3.5* downtown for $156 is the Doubletree Theatre district.

3.5* downtown for $119 is the Doubletree Club Bayside and is not what MOST people would consider downtown Boston. It's near the now defunct Bayside Exposition Center and not very convenient at all. (That's why the price is low ... the hotel gets fairly ok reviews, but it's not a good location if touring Boston is your objective.)

4.5* Theatre District/downtown Crossing for $148 is the Hyatt Regency on Avenue de Lafayette ... they were renovating, perhaps this is a post-renovation special .. or maybe they're still at it ... I don't know.

4* Back Bay for $173 is the Colonnade. (Rooftop pool is nice in summer).

3.5* Back Bay for $195 is the Park Plaza

3* Theatre Distrcit/downtown Crossing is the Courtyard by Marriott on Tremont Street.

Happy Planning!