We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

MEADVILLE
Level Contributor
154 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

We're staying near the Burlington Mall (family of 5) and thinking of a trip to the Science Center and maybe into the North End for dinner. Should we drive from Burlington to the Science Center, since they have their own parking? Or, should we drive to a metro station (which one?) and then buy tickets for 5 into the Science Center and on? We could do this on either a Friday or a Saturday as sometimes day of the week influences congestion at parking garages or metro lots. Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Burlington
Burlington
Massachusetts
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
590 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,054 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
462 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

On a Friday rte 128 (aka 95) near the Mall could be very congested if you travel during commuter times ... Saturdays won't be so bad. I'd drive it, since you don't seem to be opposed to paying for parking -- and you'd need to pay at a train or subway station and pay for fares anyway. (Some people seem to take parking charges as a personal afront of some sort --- not sure why, it's just part of the cost of living around here.)

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

Not familiar with a "science center", do you mean the Science Museum?

If this is the case, drive to the Lechmere Station lot in Cambridge and you can walk 1/4 mile across the dam to the Science Museum, it's not a busy lot and it's about $4. Dunno how much the parking is right at the museum.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

Also ... I assume by "Science Center" you mean "Museum of Science". I"m not mincing words or being picky, but if you need to ask for directions people may be confused by "Science Center".

MEADVILLE
Level Contributor
154 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

Yes, our goal is the Museum of Science. I will look into the Lechmere station and walking to the MOS as we are thinking of using the metro later in the day to go to the North End. Would that mean the Haymarket metro station or a different one? Thanks!

I will also check and see if I can find parking charges for the MOS itself, and keep in mind that Saturday might be the better choice. That will leave us Friday for the tourist things in Lexington/Concord.

Mentioned in this post
Haymarket
Haymarket
114 Reviews
Boston, MA
Lexington
Lexington
Massachusetts
Concord
Concord
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

Yes, Haymarket is a good station for the North End.

Mentioned in this post
Haymarket
Haymarket
114 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

Here is a link to the parking rates for the Museum of Science:

mos.org/visitor_info/…prices

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

You can hop right on the Green Line at Science Park (the station serving the MOS), but if it's only 3 stops, it's a scenic walk in good weather. Then you can take the Green Line from there back to your car at Lechmere when you're done.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

Yes, it is important to be specific, because I thought you were referring to the Christian Science Center!

It's not a bad walk but... with three kids in tow? I think I would park at the Museum of Science, then actually drive from there to Haymarket and park again. Normally I wouldn't suggest this, but since you'd have to buy a bunch of T tickets anyway... I think that might be best.

Mentioned in this post
Haymarket
Haymarket
114 Reviews
Boston, MA
Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

I personally think it would be foolish to drive from MOS to Haymarket.. it's a mile or less and you might end up walking just as far from the atlantic ave garages to the North End anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Haymarket
Haymarket
114 Reviews
Boston, MA
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Burlington Mall to Science Center and maybe on to North End

I agree with Rantipole. Drive to the MOS, park there, then drive to the North End.