We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunbathing hotspots please!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sunbathing hotspots please!

Hello Boston forum

Any good suggestions for Boston open air pools or easily accessible beaches where I can go catch a day's worth of serious tanning if the weather behaves when i'm on holiday there in late August? Will be spending about a week out on the Cape too, so plenty of beach opportunity there.

You just know how it is when it's a nice day, even in city, and all you want to do is laze the day away in the sunshine with a good book and top up that tan.....

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,518 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunbathing hotspots please!

The Colonnade Hotel has a rooftop pool which is open to the public for a fee.

You can search for beaches on public transport. There was a recent thread.

Edit: here's that thread: tripadvisor.com/…41888097

Edited: 30 June 2012, 19:31
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,085 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunbathing hotspots please!

You could take the ferry out to spectacle island.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunbathing hotspots please!

If you don't need to swim, the Charles river is perfect. If you want to swim, Carson beach/ castle island is a good bet.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,250 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunbathing hotspots please!

It's common for people to lay out a blanket or towel in the grassy areas on the banks of the Charles and also near the pond in the Public Gardens. They'll tan in their swimsuits but no swimming allowed.

Near Harvard Square is a good spot along the Charles --. behind the Charles Hotel, in the JFK Memorial park area.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunbathing hotspots please!

The Public Garden is a good idea. I would not worry about getting a space, it is probably one of the most under used area in Boston.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunbathing hotspots please!

Thanks for the tips, folks. I should be able to top up my tan nicely if the weathergods play ball.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunbathing hotspots please!

By "Charles River" most people mean the Esplanade, the park area on the bank of the river which stretches from Beacon Hill to the Back Bay, and beyond. It should be marked on the map as such. On the weekends, there are tons of people laying out in the sun. There are some docks on the water where people soak up the rays as well. You can strike up a conversation with some friendly Bostonians doing the same.

Mid-week, the opportunity to socialize isn't as great, but it is still a good place to put down a towel and read.

If you're going to the Cape, don't bother going to one of the beaches near Boston. Not worth the effort while you're in the city.

Wear sunscreen.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunbathing hotspots please!

If you want a real "locals" experience, take the Blue Line out to Revere Beach. It's wide and sandy and clean, with a nice promenade. You will probably get a kick out of the locals who frequent the place.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
592 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunbathing hotspots please!

There are public pools like the one in the North End, or real ocean like Carson Beach in South Boston. Near the L street bath house in South Boston, there is plenty of beautiful sand, a promenade all the way to Castle Island, a food stand at the end of Castle Island, and a playground as well as rest rooms.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
592 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunbathing hotspots please!

I went to Castle Island in South Boston today and it was fantastic. Great sand around L street, great food stand at Sullivan's, great view of the NCL Dawn and tall ship leaving the harbor, and best of all, it was ten degrees cooler than downtown. It is not far away and everyone was having a great time. And free parking, clean bathrooms, water coolers, happy dogs, happy children on the swings and slides, shady trees.

Edited: 07 July 2012, 01:11