We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cake and eat it Too

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cake and eat it Too

I'll be in Boston for my first time on April 28-30. I'm traveling alone and want to be safe and in the heart of it all - basically safe to go out to dinner, pubs, cool night life. During the day I figure I can take the T or a cab and get to most tourist attractions safely. And yes - if at all possible I'm looking for some relatively inexpensive lodging. I've heard of Bulfinch, John Jeffries. I just can't tell where to choose a hotel as far as the best proximity for night time. And, is $180 or so the lowest I can expect?

Thanks - I am a Boston newby so appreciate your help!

Boston, Mass.
Level Contributor
913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cake and eat it Too

Orbitz has the Omni Parker House listed at $159 per night for the dates you are in town. It is one of Boston's nicest hotels at the corner of Tremont St. and School St. Short walk to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market and the Waterfront, North End. You could take the Green Line subway from Government Center (Boston City Hall Plaza) and get off at Copley Station in front of the Boston Public Library and you will find yourself in the middle of the Back Back and plenty of shopping and dining choices.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cake and eat it Too

If there's availability, the John Jeffries can be appreciably less than $180/night. "Downtown" Boston is so compact that you don't need to be as concerned with location as in many other places... no thing you'll probably be most interested in seeing/doing is all that far away from any other.

Have you checked the rates on the Bulfinch's own web site? May be cheaper there than elsewhere & they have a no deposit-required/generous cancellation policy. So you could make a reservation with them now & bow out with no penalty if you found something else in the next couple of weeks. I think of it as a more "trendy" place than the Parker House ;-)

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cake and eat it Too

Hi tripdog,

As another poster said, the city is so compact that if you're in relatively good shape, you can walk almost everywhere.

The Parker House is nice and the location good.

Another suggestion is the Charlesmark Hotel. It's right on Boylston and in the heart of Back Bay, has pretty good prices, and TA posters give it positive reviews :). Check it out!

cozyharbor

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cake and eat it Too

Hi Tripdog,

First, the downtown tourist areas of Boston and Cambridge, where you will be partying heartily (hopefully), are safe to walk around during most of the evening. The bars here close at 2am, so by 3am most everyone has stumbled home. At that point, I'd be a bit careful. But, the nasty neighborhoods here are far removed from downtown.

The Parker House would be a great location to stay, if you can still get that price. The Bullfinch is also a good location, within walking distance to many bars and clubs and the T. You can also try the Onyx hotel which is in the same area and is a Kimpton hotel (meaning it's got a high funky quotient).

If you want to keep expenses to a minimum, you could also try the 463 Beacon St. Guesthouse, which gets decent reviews here, it's in the heart of the Back Bay, and it will be more in the $100 price range for a room.

The biggest concentrations of night clubs are in the North Station/BankNorth Garden area, and around Fenway Park. Boston is so compact, though, that it's a short T ride from one to the other, or a $6 cab ride will do it too.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cake and eat it Too

Well, it's not a hotel but the Hi Hostel on Hemmingway Street is inexpensive if you don't mine dorm like accomodations. The hostel is located in Back bay, very close to the T and is in a young minded area near restaurants/pubs/nightlife. Also, another cheap/safe location is located at the Newbury Street Guest House, this b&b has very small but comfortable rooms for single travelers at a low price. There are also some other budget considerations--if you're going to be seeing a lot of tourist attractions you might like the Go Boston Card or the Boston Explorer Pass. Check the attractions, might save you a few bucks if there is value in it for you. Have a great stay!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cake and eat it Too

You guys are the best - I really appreciate your guidance! I havent decided what exact plans I'll make yet, but I am pretty sure I'll factor all of your good advice into my decision making! I cant wait to check out Boston!

Thanks again for your responses!