We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roman Cuisine in North End

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Roman Cuisine in North End

Trying to decide if we want to do all seafood restaurants for our three nights in Boston or if we want to do on meal in the North End. We've visited Italy and find it hard to find similar food in the states - really enjoyed the food in Rome. Is North End mostly Sicilian or Northern cuisine? Any recommendations for authentic Italian - their pasta seemed to melt in the mouth vs. what you usually find here and the sauces are extraordinarily tasty!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roman Cuisine in North End

People in the North End (or the people who own the restaurants and now live in the suburbs) are typically born in Abruzzo or Campania so yes "roman" as opposed to northern or Sicilian but the cuisine is pretty quickly Americanized (little side dishes of watery spaghetti with your saltimbocca). We eat extremely high quality Italian food at home so when we eat out in Italian restaurants (mother's day) we tend to order complicated dishes that are never as good as my wife's pasta with squash, capers and pancetta. We haven't been to the North End recently ( we have Lucia's in Winchester ). My wife went to da Vinci's ( in Boston but not the North End ) with her sister a couple of years ago and raved about it.

When I think of "roman" food I think of carbonara. Where else have you eaten in Italy?

Incidentally, a few weeks ago some friends were discussing the relative merits of Mike's vs. Modern pastry and how they much preferred Modern. I don't have any opinion about this at all but thought it was funny because of the number times I read tourists on TA talk about standing in line for Mike's.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roman Cuisine in North End

Thanks for the feedback and yes, carbonara definitely comes to mind. I also recall a fantastic pasta dish with thin ribbons of zucchini. We enjoyed the food in all our travels in Italy - food in Venice was outstanding as well - had the best gnochhi of my life! And love the pizzas!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roman Cuisine in North End

I'm not sure what you mean by "Roman Cuisine" but it's important to remember that in Boston, you don't need to go to a seafood restaurant to get seafood. There's very few restaurants in the North End that don't have seafood on the menu.

In fact, most Boston restaurants have seafood on the menu. Pull up some menus to see what I mean.

The Daily Catch has a very tiny place in the North End (cash only) and a larger space on Northern Ave (much larger, outdoor seating, credit cards accepted) that is all seafood. Some simply prepared, some prepared Sicilian style.

You'll have lots of options.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,500 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roman Cuisine in North End

Marcon in the North End's website says,

"Marco features the cosmopolitan cuisine of Rome while paying homage to its many regional influences."

I've eaten there a number of times and the food is very good.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roman Cuisine in North End

I was going to suggest Da Vinci also, but it is not in the North End.

In the North End, check out the menus for the following places, and see if they come close:

Carmen

Marco

Prezza (this could also double for your seafood night)

6. Re: Roman Cuisine in North End

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2013, 10:16