We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
215 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

I will be traveling with friends that are flying in later then I. We are staying at the Park Plaza for 2 nights only pre conference (conference will be in Danvers). I arrive about 5 hours before they do (in the evening hours though) so I am wondering what there is to do nearby the Plaza that would be safe for me to walk to and enjoy alone.

Thanks

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

Newbury Street. :).

http://www.newbury-st.com/

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

Newbury street is close by. It's a mile of shops, rests and people. The four seasons hotel is across the street. Always a nice place to have a cocktail.

Edited: 07 July 2012, 01:49
Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
215 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

Great thank you I will check that out. This is not a city I have ever been to, so help is appreciated.

When I arrive in Logan airport what it the best way to get to the hotel? They offer a shuttle for $17 I believe is that my best bet?

What are the don't miss things you suggest 3 friends (all girls) traveling together do while in Boston? We will have 1 1/2 days really. The two others I am traveling with are coming all the way from AU.

Once we leave Boston we will be staying in Danvers for a conference for 2 more days. I know that is a distance from the city, but is anyone familiar with things to do in that area?

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

If you're not in a hurry and limited luggage you can take the silverline from the terminal to the red line at south station. take the red line to the downtown crossing. This is a free ride at the moment. Otherwise the shuttle if alone works.

Dinner in the north end, Newbury street, Charles street

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

Regarding things to do in the Danvers area: you could visit Salem (maritime and witch trials history, Peabody Essex Museum, architecture), Gloucester (coastal city and fishing port), and Rockport (more coastal scenery, quaint shops). Will you have a car and where are you staying (Coco Key?)? How are you getting to Salem from Boston? Public transportation in Danvers is limited to a few buses to and from Salem. A car will give you more flexibility.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

In Boston, what are your interests? History, sports, Active stuff, shopping, art museums, people watching? Do you want tours or just hanging out and catching up activities?

Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
215 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

We will not have a car it was not worth the hassle while in Danvers so instead opted to spend 2 nights in Boston first. I am sort of going with the flow since I live in PA. The other two are traveling much much further coming from AU. They said something about doing the Duck tour in Boston to get a taste of it all. The following day we'd have limited time so maybe just some shopping and people watching. The first night there will be shot as we arrive late so where do you suggest we go for one night out in Boston for dinner and then any neat nighttime places?

From Boston to Danvers I am sill figuring out Trans. I was told there is a free shuttle from and to coco key resort from a satellite location that I have to take the Peabody express to first?? I don't have that figured out yet.

As far as Danvers goes we will be in conferences most of the day so looking for a museum or something late afternoon and maybe dining in the evening? Again only there 2 nights too.

Thanks

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

The central areas of Boston are very safe and filled with pedestrians, so no worries. I always felt entirely safe walking around alone in Boston, even when I was in my 20's and wicked cute :)

In Boston, Newbury street is a great suggestion for the hours before your friends arrive. Walk through the Public Garden on the way.

The Duck tour is a fun intro for the group. Try to book it for early in the morning so you can get it out of the way and then do some exploring on your own.

Head to Quincy Market/Faneuil hall area for shopping, people watching, fun restaurants and bars, and history all rolled into one. The Duck Tour will introduce you to it, then go back to party. Spend your afternoon there, have a couple of cocktails, then walk over to the North End for dinner.

Depending on your timeline, if you finish the Duck Tour early in the day and have some time before heading to Quincy Market, I'd recommend walking through the the Beacon Hill neighborhood. It's really quite unique. It's on the other side of the Public Garden & Boston Common from your hotel.

Boston is compact, so all of the areas we have mentioned are very near each other. But wear reasonably comfortable shoes. Boston is a wonderful walking city, though the T is available should you need it.

One last thought: If your friends are into shopping and people watching, you'll want to return to Newbury Street. You could start your day there for breakfast and some window shopping.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

I'm guessing that the conference has arranged a special shuttle between the Logan Express station in Peabody (next to Danvers) and Coco Key. You pick up the Logan Express at any terminal. Though this will mean a trip back to the airport from the Park Plaza, it is probably the best way to get to this hotel.

As for things to do / places to dine in the late afternoon and evening, there are a number of choices (see previous post), but they will be difficult to get to without a car. As I said earlier, public transit is very limited in Danvers and now that you've confirmed that you'll be at Coco Key, I'll add that it is in a very isolated location. There are taxis in the area--you would need to call for one--and with several people the cost will be more manageable. Is the conference perhaps offering a shuttle to Salem or Beverly or even downtown Danvers for some restaurant choices besides the hotel?

You are correct that you don't need a car in Boston; it is actually a hindrance there.

Hope you'll enjoy your visit!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at Park Plaza what to do nearby till others arrive??

Do yourself a favor ... stay in Boston without a car and then rent a car for Danvers. Split between you and your friends, the cost won't be too outrageous. There is NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING within walking distance of the hotel. You'll either be calling taxis or eating all your meals there.

You can't get to Salem or Gloucester or any of those places from Danvers easily without a car.

And Coco key -- the water park -- seems geared towards kids --- it was mobbed with kids when I was there ... on a weekday in March when our town didn't have school but most others did ... ALL the girl scouts and our town went on an outing there. And my towns Parks & Recs department loads up a bus or two with kids under 13 and counselors for trips to Coco Key once or twice a year.

Edited: 07 July 2012, 11:19