We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

We are doing a US fly drive trip at Christmas thru to after new year. Can anyone give us some advice for our Boston-New YOrk period of stay? We are mum & dad & 2 sons (20yr and 17yrs old) and our last leg is flying from Miami up to Boston area on the 27th Dec til 2 Jan 2013. Trying to decided the best place to stay forthose 5days. Thinking of somewhere central so we don't have to move our gear again!!

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated. Is there lots to see out of New york area or should we stay Boston a few days then move to New york? But don't want to be in New York for New Years eve as believe very, very busy - not good!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

I would stay in Boston a few days and then move on to New York. What sort of things do you like to do?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

We are not arty people more into sports. Hubby wants to followup on some ancestry stuff in Massachut... hence Boston area. So we will be doing the usual touristy stuff

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Hi Jenny, what's your per day budget and what are looking for in a hotel? Are you looking for 1 room or 2? Boston is a small city so you have lots of choices. Why don't you browse those in the Back Bay, waterfront, Quincy Market. On second reading...are you looking for a location half way between New York and Boston to stay all 5 days or are you looking to split the 5 days between the cities?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,009 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

There is really no one place to stay that is 'central' to BOTH Boston and New York (assuming you mean New York City). They are about 4 1/2 hours apart by bus, car or train.

Where are you flying from when you leave. If it's not too late to change plans ... I'd fly miami to New York, visit for a few days and then come to Boston for the rest of your stay. Boston has a very family freindly New Year's eve celebration that starts about noon time.

New York is busy on New Year's but from what I understand only CRAZY in the Times Square area. Avoid that area on New Year's Eve and all is good. You can get more info about that on the New York City forum.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

We fly out from New York on the 2nd Janto London hence staying in Boston first then going onto New York but I take in what you said and don't want to be in New YOrk at New Year. Maybe we can still Go New York first stay near Times Square then on the 30th Dec head off to Boston, Mass. Is there a site I can go on to find out what is on etc.. for New Year. Can you suggest places to go etc. We are a family that enjoy ourselves - legally that is!!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

it seems inconvenient for you to travel from nyc to boston, then back to nyc for your flight, all in the space of 5 days, just to avoid being in nyc for nye. as the other poster said, if you avoid times square on nye, you will be ok, although hotel prices everywhere in nyc will be high for that night. if you decide to be in boston for nye, check out the "first night" festivities, an evening of multiple outdoor (and some indoor) arts performances, ice sculptures, etc., culminating in fireworks at midnight. (sorry for no capitals, something wrong with keyboard at the moment)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

Can you suggest a place to stay between both?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,517 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

Hartford is half way, but why would you want to do that?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?

If you stay halfway, you will be 2 hours from each city, which is too far to use as a base for daily sightseeing.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay?

Jenny, If your husband hasn't already found it, have him take a look at this resource:

http://www.americanancestors.org/home.html

That's the site of the New England Historic Genealogical Society and their extensive research library is right on Newbury Street in the heart of our prime shopping area.

He may want to make an appointment with one of the staff to speed his research. I'm constantly amazed at their resources and skills. I'm a member of the society and constantly use the online databases to add background to my newspaper column on Boston architecture.

It is also a very beautiful, serene space with some amazing treasures.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/