We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MBTA service/tickets for Boston

Bracknell
Level Contributor
4 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
MBTA service/tickets for Boston

We're visiting Boston as part of a two week trip to New England in September. and intended to have a day visiting Boston.

We're staying up in Woburn and intended to commute in from Anderson/Woburn and then either walk or use the subway to see the City Centre and visit Cambridge.

I've been looking at the MBTA website and its not clear how/where you buy tickets for day trips/returns into Boston. Can you also buy day-tickets for use on the subway system.

Many thanks for any advice

Thanks for any advice

Edited: 13 July 2012, 13:19
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MBTA service/tickets for Boston

You buy tickets after boarding the train at Anderson. You cannot buy subway tickets on the train.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MBTA service/tickets for Boston

Anderson has a ticket booth. If it is open you should buy the tickets at the booth or else you will be surcharged for buying on the train. I'm not sure if Anderson has a machine for buying Charlie Tickets/Cards (for subway), but if they don't you can buy them when you get off at North Station.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MBTA service/tickets for Boston

You can buy a transit day pass from a fare vending machine in the North Station subway station. A single day is $11 and you will need a separate pass for each person. A single ride is $2.50 or if you get a Charlie Card from a station attendant (just ask), the fare is $2.

While the 7 day pass at $18 is a flat out bargain, the $11 one day pass is worth it only if you are sure you will be using the subway or bus frequently during the day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MBTA service/tickets for Boston

Don't count on getting a Charlie Card - apparently it's a rare commodity. Could not find one from either an attendant or on top of machines during our recent trip. Frustrating since it is cheaper to use the card.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MBTA service/tickets for Boston

I just sent a message to the MBTA GM asking about the elusive option to buy a Charlie Card online. I thought you were supposed to be able to do that. I wonder if the hotels could get a supply and send a blank card out to guests coming into town so they already have it when they arrive.

I keep a guest card for our friends coming to town and mail it to them ahead of time. It started out with $5 on it but each time it comes back it has a bit more money. Guess I have considerate friends.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MBTA service/tickets for Boston

Charlie cards were hard to get for a while because the T ran out of them. I think they may be available again.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MBTA service/tickets for Boston

BostonZest - you took the words right out of my mouth - I was also thinking the hotel concierges should have a stack to give out! They should also be better versed on the T lines. I asked how to get to Downtown Crossing (I wanted to catch the red line) - instead I was directed to the 'closest' station which did not have that line. Thankfully, Bostonians are very friendly and I was soon pointed in the right direction!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MBTA service/tickets for Boston

I just resent my question to the MBTA. No answer so far. MBTA.com on the FAQ Charlie Card page say you can buy online.

ow.ly/cfliG

When you click there is no option to do that.

ow.ly/cfljW

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MBTA service/tickets for Boston

Just to clarify for the original poster, the $11 daily or $18 weekly transit pass will NOT cover the train to Woburn. If memory serves me correctly, that's a zone 2 ride, $6 per person each way. There is a $3 surcharge if you buy your ticket on the train when there is a machine or other vendor or even someplace like a convenience store that sells train tickets nearby!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MBTA service/tickets for Boston

Also, another fyi for first-time users - you need to know how much a ticket costs since the only option is to load money on your card or paper ticket - i.e. not load one-way fare, round-trip etc. There are fare signs posted next to the machines. What I could not figure out is how to buy multiple tickets - so I made 3 separate purchases each time I needed a ticket.