We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days for trip to Cape OR Maine??

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
FL GAL in NC
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
3 days for trip to Cape OR Maine??

50 y.o. couple w/o kids -- Traveling to Boston and are trying to decide on a side trip (late 8/22-8/25). I think we're narrowed it down to the Cape or Maine. Looking for comments on the merits of either option, also considering this time of year and somewhat late booking date.

Appreciate any advice/input!

Thanks-

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,766 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days for trip to Cape OR Maine??

If you are looking for a hotel, you should be able to find something. Some schools aroudn here now start in late August and the rest start in early Sept, so many of the locals who vacation in the area have already shifted gears from "summer vacation" to "school".

Maine and the Cape are very different. I vacation regularly on the Cape, so I'm probably biased towards that ... but I have family members who vacation regularly in Boothbay Maine. So they'd be biased in that direction. ;) Seriously, you cannot go wrong with either.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days for trip to Cape OR Maine??

I agree, you can't really go wrong with either. Just my opinion, but in Maine I would allow driving time to get up at least past Portland. You can get to less beachy, more rural and rocky parts of the Maine coast in about 4 hours. So if a rocky coastline with lots of coves, pine trees and lobster shacks here and there appeals to you, go for Maine. Two favorite locations are the Boothbay Harbor area, or Camden. Acadia National Park is also a fabulous place to visit, with several small towns on the island that forms most of the park. There is no substitution for Maine - it's great!

I love the Cape as well. It's a different thing. Overall it's a little more crowded, much more about sweeping sandy beaches, shorter distances between appealing towns, less wild. Maybe a little warmer than Maine. Not that you can't be by yourself on the Cape! I guess you could look at some photos and see which set of pix seems most appealing.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days for trip to Cape OR Maine??

Both places are wonderful destinations from Boston. I'm partial to the sweeping sandy beaches on the Cape, but have family in Maine and spend a bit of time there, as well.

I like the Kennebunkport area in Maine, which is a little bit south of Portland.

Great lobster available in both places:) Fewer tolls getting to the Cape.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days for trip to Cape OR Maine??

Either choice would be good. However, comparing the two, the rocky coast of Maine is less like the coastal areas of NC and FL that I'm guessing (from your screen name) you know well. Maine also has lots of beautiful inland areas.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days for trip to Cape OR Maine??

I guess my question is...are you a beach person? I am not...I am happier in Maine but the Cape is lovely too...I feel like we are not really helping much. But at least there is no wrong decision.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,303 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days for trip to Cape OR Maine??

The Cape has a lot of variety. You could locate in the Falmouth area and steep yourselves in this historic, quaint area visiting Sandwich and maybe even taking a day trip to Martha's Vineyard.

You could drive on out to the Outer Cape and base around Orleans or Wellfleet and instead enjoy long walks on the variable and dramatically beautiful beaches of the National Seashore and then do something different by going to quirky Provincetown (Art's Dune Tours is neat) or in the other direction to upscale Chatham for a day.

Or enjoy the Mid-Cape area with it's abundance and variety of dining and entertainment, galleries, and shops, more commercial aspects.

Whichever fits your personality you can find it on the Cape. Cape Cod is unique in the US. I hope you can sample some of the charms.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
43 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days for trip to Cape OR Maine??

Being originally from Maine, I am biased towards it's beauty. However, like others have mentioned you can't go wrong with either trip. Starting out in Boston, you could stop in Portsmouth, NH, work your way up coastal route 1 and see Kittery, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, and continue on to Portland's Old Port. From there you could continue you along to Freeport, Brunswick, and Boothbay Harbor which is everything you would want in a coastal Maine town.

8. Re: 3 days for trip to Cape OR Maine??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 05:17