We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to NYC, what to do where to go?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manama, Bahrain
7 posts
Save Topic
Boston to NYC, what to do where to go?

We will arrive in Boston on 28 Aug and booked to fly out of NYC on 3rd Sep. Any suggestions on where to stay and places to visit. We are totally flexible but looking to make the most of our time in the US.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to NYC, what to do where to go?

yes but you need to do some research first and narrow your unlimited options.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to NYC, what to do where to go?

yes but you need to do some research first and narrow your unlimited options.

Edited: 21 July 2012, 10:58
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,783 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to NYC, what to do where to go?

it`s about 4.5 hours from Boston to nyc by car , train or non-stop bus. What are you hoping to accomplish. will you have a car? do you have sites you want to see? I`m not sure what your objective is.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to NYC, what to do where to go?

If you only have 5 days in the US, I would concentrate my time in the 2 cities and take the train or bus as quickly as possible between them. I'd stay at the Millenium in Boston, do the freedom trail, Fanueil Hall, Fenway Park tour, dinner in the North End. Take the Train to NYC...I have no clue about hotels there but perhaps some place in Times Square...visit the Statue of Liberty, see a show, go to a museum. I'm sure there are other things to do there. Do you have kids? What age? Do you like Museums, history, food, what brings you to the US? Is there a must see landmark that needs to be worked into an itinerary?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to NYC, what to do where to go?

Since your stay is short, and each city has a lot to do and see, you won't have much time for day trips.

That weekend will be our Labor Day holiday weekend. It's our big "end of summer" weekend and massive numbers of people head to the lakes, mountains and beaches. Your best bet that weekend is to stay in NYC and not try to do any day trips to other regions. NYC hotel rates will be lower than usual that weekend. There is PLENTY to do in the city.

Take a look at the Top Questions section in the Boston forum, and the NYC forum (not the New York State forum). You'll find long lists of possible things to do and see. Narrow them down by interest.

I would suggest staying 3 nights in Boston, then taking Amtrak train to NYC on that Friday. Book Amtrak tickets ahead of time since this is a holiday weekend.

While in Boston, you could take a day trip to Salem or Newburyport via commuter rail (they are both on the North Shore), or simply enjoy Boston and Cambridge. Consider doing a Whale Watch out of Boston.

For where to stay, prices fluctuate so we'll need to know your approximate budget. The same goes for the NYC portion of your trip. For your dates, you may end up paying more for your Boston hotel than your Manhattan hotel. It's a cheap time for NYC but not for Boston.

Manama, Bahrain
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to NYC, what to do where to go?

Thanks for all of the comments. I think our plan is stay around Boston for 4/5 night and the last couple of nights in NYC. There will be three of us including my 18 year old daughter so although we enjoy museums she does not have such a long attention span! It is more about Boston area I am looking for recomendations as I have started doing some research but there seems to be so much in the area, Boston, Cape Cod, Mathas Vineyard, Cambridge etc etc We really prefer smaller hotels and with some character, the budget is not set but would prefer to look at a 4/5 star or even a holiday rental.

Should we have a car or can we get round by train and bus. We will get the train back down to NYC but there seems to different trains and routes.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to NYC, what to do where to go?

There is only one train route to NYC. Amtrak runs two types of trains - the Acela Express and the North East Regional. Most people feel that the Acela is not worth the extra cost as it doesn't save you much time.

For Martha's Vineyard, you could fly on Cape Air and stay on MV without a car. It's a long trip to get their by car + ferry from Boston and may not be the best use of your time.

For Cape Cod, you really need a car and a few days to enjoy it. It's big and spread out. The one exception is Provincetown, at the tip of the Cape. You can go there by ferry from Boston and it's a very walkable town. Though it isn't "typical laid-back Cape Cod" it is a lively and fun place.

Cambridge is super easy to visit. It's right next to Boston.

The North Shore would be an easier option than The Cape. You can get there by Commuter Rail, or chose to rent a car. It's much closer to Boston. Salem, Newburyport, Gloucester, Cape Ann.

Your whole trip is only 6 nights. You really don't want to spend 5 of them in Boston and only one in NYC! I think you meant 4 nights?

For Aug 28, 4 nights and 3 adults in a room... For a really lovely, upscale historic boutique hotel in a great area, I like the Lenox. Expedia has a junior suite (2 queen beds) for avg $319 a night for your dates. The Copley Square hotel is another good option. A room with 2 double beds is avg $283. Back Bay Hotel has 2 doubles for $223. I think the Lenox would be the nicest option if you can afford it.

If these prices make you start thinking about your budget, there are also some good options on LastMinuteTravel.com for larger, more modern hotels in Back Bay, such as the Colonnade for $182. These hotels are hidden identity, but easy to decipher by photos. We can help if you decide to go that route.

One final note: Some hotels do not have rooms for three. The hotels I mentioned do accommodate 3 adults.

8. Re: Boston to NYC, what to do where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 10:15