We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

UK
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

Any recommendations of where to go and what to do? Is it safe to travel on the subway by myself?

Thanks

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
303 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

I've travelled to Boston for the last 4 years by myself. You'll be perfectly safe to travel on the T or indeed to walk around Boston. Obviously take the necessary precautions as you would in any city, avoid unlit areas at night etc.

As for things to do, don't know how old you are, but I'd recommend the following:

Take a trolley tour or the Duck tour, gives you an overall feel for the city.

Walk Newbury Street, Prudential Centre.

Walk Beacon Hill.

There are a host of museums if that's your interest.

Also, as it's Summer, you might like to take a whale watch, or a boat trip.

You could also take the train to Rockport, a great little fishing town, takes about an hour. Boston is a fantastic city for walking around, have a fun trip.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

You might enjoy a day trip to Provincetown, MA. It's located at the tip of Cape Cod, and you can get there by taking a ferry out of Boston. It's a really unique and fun atmosphere, great for people watching, shopping for interesting items you won't find elsewhere, and eating excellent fresh seafood. If you can spend the night, you could see one of the female inpersonator shows - some shows are appropriate for families with older kids, in case you don't want one that's too racy.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

If you're on your own for meals, here are a few places you'll feel comfortable dining at;

Trident Booksellers on Newbury St. between Hereford and Massachusetts Ave; Sushi Express on Newbury between Clarendon and Dartmouth; Parish Cafe on Boylston between Berkley and Arlington; outdoors at any of the cafe's on Newbury St. I really like Scoozi's (on the corner of Fairfield and Newbury)for good pizza and other Italian fare. And last but not least, Atlantic Fish Co. on Boylston between Fairfield and Exeter.

Trident's is a really comfortable spot which offers great inexpensive food and free internet, along with fun ambience, good people watching (if you sit by the window), and of course lots of books and magazines to browse while dining.

Sushi Express is fast, inexpensive and for the price, the sushi is pretty darn good.

Parish Cafe has great everything, but it's often very crowded at lunch and tough to get a seat, but worth a try.

Atlantic Fish Co. has wonderful seafood that is cooked anyway you like it, a hopping and lively atmomsphere, and great people watching.

Have fun and hope you enjoy Beantown!

cozyharbor

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

Hi Gracie,

The subway is generally safe to travel on by yourself, but I have felt unsafe and witnessed some violent behaviour by unruly gang members on the Orange Line on several occasions. I would not recommend you take that line at night by yourself.

Boston
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

Hi Gracie,

I've lived in Boston for more than 20 years and take the subway everywhere. I agree with the post about the Orange Line, but it's unlikely that you would be exploring in that area of the city at night in any case.

Things to do: if you're interested in history, start with the Freedom Trail, which is a self-guided walking tour through some of the oldest sites in Boston. The information center in Boston Common has maps, etc. Also check out www.bostonbyfoot.com for regularly scheduled walking tours of different parts of the city. No reservations required.

The museums are fabulous, and if you are interested, you should also take the Red Line subway to Harvard Square in Cambridge and visit Harvard's museums. If you're a techie, the MIT Museum is fun and has the world's largest collection of holograms. The List Visual Arts Center at MIT has changing exhibits of contemporary art.

If you like the outdoors, check out the Aquarium's whale watch (close to downtown, or on the Blue Line subway) and the Arnold Arboretum (on the Green Line subway). The Aquarium itself is also fun, but I don't think it's as as good as those in other major cities.

Again without knowing your age or tastes, there are also places to hear music and eat that are suitable for a woman travelling alone. The Middle East in Central Square (Cambridge), Club Passim in Harvard Square (Cambridge) for folk music, Johnny D's in Davis Square (Somerville) for an interesting range (all on the Red Line), plus others. And those locations have many dining options as well, from burgers to Indian food to seafood, etc.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Dublin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

Hi, I'd just like to thank the posters for their advice. I too will be single in Boston next week and was wondering what to get up to.

Also, I'm a runner. A number of people have said along the charles river is a good place to run. Could I just check it's safe for me to do so. I'll probably be trying to get the runs in at abour 6:30 am.

Boston, Mass.
Level Contributor
913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

The Charles River is always loaded with joggers, runners, rollerbladers, bikers from sunrise to sunset. I am sure you will have plenty of company on your early morning runs.

Dublin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

Thanks Spike

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

I would agree with all the post here!

I am single female early 20's, I travel alone. I traveled to Boston 2 years ago in June and I am returning Memorial Day weekend for a quick trip. I LOVED! I am staying at the airport hotels (can not beat 60/night via bidding disc site for 4*) this trip to save some money. I am seeing a game at Fenway and need all the extra money I can get! I would suggest using bidding price site, there are some sites out there that will help you with bidding and provide list of hotels won so you have an idea. Just goggle " site name bidding help". I don't know if I am allowed to list site here :)

The subway is relatively safe. I was not out much late in the evenings but I can say the areas were well lit and populated. I did walk back late at night from the "Hatch" at Charles River to my Hotel, the Omni, in Quincy Area by myself and felt very safe. I did not take a cab the whole trip. Feel they are a waste of money! The "t" will take you anywhere, I spent a day in Cambridge (nice walking along the river, Harvard), went to the JFK Library (would recommend, got there an hour before closing and walked around for free!), and around Fenway and Prudential. For access to the "t" stick with Copley or Quincy/Financial Hotels. The airport hotel I am staying at does provide shuttle to "t" or you can access from airport. Only 15 min commute. If you can manage a small inconvenience to save money, do.

I loved the Whale Watching tour I went on. A lovely way to spend a Sunday. We saw two whales and tons of friendly dolphins. Also great pictures as you are pulling way from Boston and nearing the lighthouses. Remember, it is windy and cold.

I did part of the freedom trail, nice but a lot of walking. I stopped at many places spending time looking around.

There is this awesome bakery in the North End I will be sure to visit, Mikes Pastry's, YUM!!! I will bring back again for my friends who told me about they are from RI and are addicted! The north end is also nice for a quiet relaxing dinner. I personally have no issues eating out alone.

I loved walking Newbury street stopping at all the froufrou stores where I could only afford a sock! They have a nice stationary store (Paper Source) if you are feeling creative.

I ate at a nice Thai restaurant near fenway, Brown Sugar Cafe, I will be sure to visit again.

Boston
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single Female Traveller in Boston for a week in June

Just a quick correction to plumage's excellent post above-- the Arboretum is on the Orange Line (Forest Hills stop), not the Green Line. I lived in Jamaica Plain, the neighborhood of the Arboretum, for many years until 2000, still go there at least once a week, and never had any problem on the Orange line. If you do decide to trek the Arboretum, I would recommend visiting Forest Hills Cemetary as well. It is about a ten minute or less walk from the Arboretum, and hosts poetry readings and sculpture installations (yes, in the cemetery). It is a lovely "park style" cemetery where ee cummings, Eugene O'Neill, and Anne Sexton are buried. See http://www.foresthillstrust.org/about.html. There are many excellent restaurants in the neighborhood near the Arboretum-- Ten Tables, Tacos El Charro, and Bukhara leap to mind-- and some of the best bars in the city! If you will be in town long enough to want to get off the more travelled tourist path, JP and the Arboretum makes a great afternoon trip.