We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Precrise trip to Gloucester

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
899 reviews
Save Topic
Precrise trip to Gloucester

We are taking a cruise out of Boston seaport at the end of September. We are flying into Boston Logan airport the night before. We want to do a little excursion to Gloucester/Rockport/Cape Ann area the morning before the cruise. Is there a town that we can stay in on the way to Gloucester? Our flight gets in around 10pm. Or shoukd we drive right to Gloucester and stay there? I am not sure how long it takes to get there from the airport, but according to Mapquest, it says 50 minutes. Is there somewhere particularly nice or scenic in that area? Around noon or 11, we will drive back to Logan and drop off the car. What is the best way to get to our ship dock from Logan airport? Can we take public transport part of the way? We have to be on the ship by 3 pm. Thank you

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Precrise trip to Gloucester

Considering your time, If you really want to see it -

* Drive to Rockport straight from the airport. Approx 45mts drive.

* You will arrive late in the night. Stay overnight in one of the B&B's.

* Get up in the morning, have break fast in the town, check out the area and drive back to Boston via Gloucester.

2. Re: Precrise trip to Gloucester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2012, 16:09
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Precrise trip to Gloucester

You can take the Silver Line of the MBTA from the airport to South Station, then a different Silver Line trolley to the Black Falcon terminal (where all the cruise ships leave from) or you can take a taxi.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Precrise trip to Gloucester

Would you consider Marblehead instead of Cape Ann? It would save about a half hour of driving time in each direction and give you more time to look around. Have a look at the following websites if you're not familiar with the town:

http://www.marblehead.org/index.aspx?NID=10

http://www.visitmarblehead.com/index.asp

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Precrise trip to Gloucester

Thank you for your suggestions. We have already been to most of the sights that we wanted to see in Boston such as Paul Revere house, Old North Church, Faniuel Hall, Quincy Market, etc. Last time that we cruised out of Boston, we stayed at the Seaport and then drove to Marblehead the morning of the cruise, had breakfast at the Driftwood, and explored the town. We saw the 1776 painting, Marblehead Light, Castle Rock,Fort Sewell, and Jeremiah Lee Mansion in Marblehead. Lovely quaint town. We had extra time so we went to Salem as well and went in the House of the Seven Gables. We left Boston at 6:30am and got back to Boston around 1pm. We are not city people, but instead love scenic vistas and the ocean so I thought that somewhere on Cape Ann would be something we have not seen. I have heard that Rockport is very nice. We generally get up around 5:30am or 6am and are on the road by 6am, which gives us almost 6 hours to explore and eat breakfast. We will get lunch on the ship. I thought of seeing The Gloucester Fisherman Memorial and perhaps a lighthouse as well as just taking a drive around to see the beach vistas and walk around some quaint shops.

The suggestion to get up early and then take the drive sounds like a good one. It sounds like Rockport may be a good area to stay in.

It sounds like the Silver Line would be good. It may be faster than the taxi. I seem to remember something about buying a Charlie card. We only have one carryon bag so we can manage that on the subways.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Precrise trip to Gloucester

Your mornings are a few hours longer than mine. ;-) I think your Rockport/Gloucester idea will work just fine. Do try to make time for Halibut Point in Gloucester.

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Precrise trip to Gloucester

The Loop around the area -

Gloucester - Halibut Point State Park - Rockport - Gloucester

on Route 127 / 127A is about ~17miles and it takes about ~45 mts to drive around without stopping(no traffic).

Just remember to take Route 127A between Rockport & Gloucester rather than Route 127.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Precrise trip to Gloucester

Ok. Thank you for the great advice. I will follow your suggestions.. I will look up Halibut Point.

Boston...
Level Contributor
580 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Precrise trip to Gloucester

Halibut State Park,Rockport--If you visit on a weekend,the watchtower,museum and gift shop will be open.Great walking trails along the coast and quarry area.On a clear day you can see all the way from Rockport-the maine coast including the isle of Shoals.

Edited: 28 July 2012, 16:18
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Precrise trip to Gloucester

Thank you. Is Friday morning a weekend?